Coop fire last night

We're going to take a more sensible approach to taking the chill out of our next coop. Being responsible for these birds' untimely deaths is really embarrassing, dreadful, and sobering. Animal husbandry isn't a casual DIY endeavor and our next coop is going to reflect that.

Scrolling on my phone at the hospital I saw so many accounts of this happening with those heat lamps... I should have known better.
Do not blame yourself. Everyone has to learn, and now you have. Lord knows we have all done things in hindsight that were downright dangerous.

Chin up. đź«‚

So so sorry for your loss and the traumatic experience. Agree with the above, don't blame yourself too much. You were doing what you thought was right with the information you had available at the time. You can so differently now that you know different. Ugh my heart aches for your loss.

So sorry for the loss of your coop and chickens. It is very heartbreaking. So glad that you and your family was not seriously injured. Posting this thread about your experience will be helpful to those in the future who think about using heatlamps in their coops.

:hugs I'm so sorry about your losses. I can't even imagine how horrible it was for you 2 to not be able to do anything. So glad you weren't hurt anymore than you were. Thank you for sharing this painful experience with us all to maybe avoid someone else having this happen to them.
Don't blame yourself.
Learn from this, move on and remember you were a responsible pet owner and only wanted the best for your birds which is so much better than so many other birds get .

Last edited:
I AM SO SORRY THIS HAPPENED TO YOU!!! This just happened to our chicks with the same heat lamp!!! I am thankful I was able to get my chicks out of their brooder safely. My lungs hurt, I can’t imagine how theirs feel…. I am hoping smoke rises and I got the worst of it. Poor babies. Throwing away all heat lamps and getting a hot plate instead. I am SO sorry for your loss!!

Back
Top Bottom