Coop fire last night

Lost all seven of my year old birds. They all took about 20 minutes to perish in the heat and smoke. The clamp on red heat lamp started the fire. Our friends use the same lamp, we thought we'd be fine. We even considered getting those enclosed coop warmers that don't have light bulbs and if we did this wouldn't have happened. I can't even explain the sense of helplessness and despair watching the our flock and coop go up like that right in front of our eyes.

If you have one of those red heat lamps in your coop I suggest re-thinking your climate control solution.

Here we are desperate to save our chickens, knowing that they were all dead already anyway.

View attachment 2944047
So...so...sad. So sorry this happened.

Adult birds dont need heat and that lamp looks like it was for reptiles and not meant for a 250 heat bulb
If the socket is porcelain, it may very well have been useable with a 250w heat bulb. The Woods lamps look like that one and have a sticker on the inside of the reflector stating the maximum wattage. They go up to 300w. The fact the socket part on top is black, not white, probably means it wasn't porcelain, though, unless porcelain turns black in fires.

Last edited:
We're going to take a more sensible approach to taking the chill out of our next coop. Being responsible for these birds' untimely deaths is really embarrassing, dreadful, and sobering. Animal husbandry isn't a casual DIY endeavor and our next coop is going to reflect that.

Scrolling on my phone at the hospital I saw so many accounts of this happening with those heat lamps... I should have known better.

Back
Top Bottom