Coop floor?

I have a painted plywood coop floor that has only a couple of scratches though the paint. Deep litter method works great. Nothing has stuck to the painted floor in two years time.

The small coop that I am building right now (4'x4'x4') will have an unpainted plywood floor.

Quote:
Hi
I'm about to build a similar size coop. I would love it if you wanted to share your design plans. We are going to be using it for 6 free-ranging guineas, so it's mostly going to be used as sleeping quarters. We are getting some chickens in the spring and will be building another coop for them.

BTW, Flooring is going to be plywood with linoleum. We got 12x12 stick-on for 25 cents each from Lowes today!

Quote:
Hi
I'm about to build a similar size coop. I would love it if you wanted to share your design plans. We are going to be using it for 6 free-ranging guineas, so it's mostly going to be used as sleeping quarters. We are getting some chickens in the spring and will be building another coop for them.

BTW, Flooring is going to be plywood with linoleum. We got 12x12 stick-on for 25 cents each from Lowes today!

For that price, one must buy a few squares to put down to seal the floor. I need to check out Lowes, never went inside a Lowes yet.

I have a pretty ugly temporary 1-sided sloped roof (that I built) on it now, but I have to change that to a pitched roof with some better symmetry.

Minus the rooster vain and all the extra artwork (unless my wife or kids do it, I can't draw worth beans), I want to build a roof on mine that looks like this with the attached chimney thing on top. That is what I want!!!
wee.gif
D.gif
celebrate.gif

This is not my awesome coop pictured below, but it has the sweet looking roof that I want on my 4'x4'x4' coop
celebrate.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=101301-restore-weathervane-project

We also use linoleum over plywood and it works great. We found a 6 x 8 sheet at Lowe's on clearance for $11. It's not the prettiest thing but does the trick. Makes cleanup very easy.

Quote:
Should be fine. They'll almost never encounter the "slippery" aspect -- theyre walking on the bedding, not the floor itself. On the other hand, if the bedding is deep enough, cleanup is no problem with just about any flooring.

What other options does the builder offer? And what's the price difference. Personally, I wouldn't pay extra for fiberglass.

Last edited:
not sure if it helps but I have 18 inches wood shavings
over wood floor.with DE mixed in
last us a year. before it all gets cleaned out.
I am always adding clean
shavings.
I would think linoleum would make it to slippery
welcome-byc.gif
glad to have you all here.
jumpy.gif
:jumpy

If I had an option to put in a fiberglass floor, I would have done it!! I put vinyl on top of my floor. That would be JUST as slick, IMO. But the chickens will never touch your fiberglass floor if you put in enough pine shavings (or other bedding). It should work great and be easy to clean! I think that's a fabulous idea! Go for it!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom