coop floor

Jrb599

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Hi,

I was talking to my father in law who said he's had to replace his coop floor twice because the chicken urine tears right through it. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there anything I can do to help prevent this in my coop?

We put linoleum over the wood in our coop to try and prevent some moisture absorbing into the wood and also to make it easier to clean. I also read a lot about PDZ and decided to use it....I sprinkle it in the coop. It absorbs moisture, helps with reducing odors, and is safe for the chickens. I know some folks use stall dry, but our TSC only carries the Sweet PDZ, no stall dry.

We put a panel of FRP on our floor. It's fiberglass reinforced plastic, and we got it from Home Depot. It has a nice texture to it, so it is not too slick. It is made for use in restaurants, kitchens, etc. And it is virtually impervious to moisture and stains. We caulked the edges to prevent moisture from getting under it.

KJF

I used an rubberized roof coat product I got from Lowes. The floor is over 2yrs old, and under the shavings, it looks like the day I finished the coop. The roof coat becomes part of the floor. It doesn't become brittle like linoleum when it gets old. Nothing can get between it and the wooden floor like it can with linoleum or vinyl. Caulk can come loose as it ages, and the chickens WILL eat it.
Jack

sand i swear by sand it drys up there droppings so fast there is no smell i go in and rake it now just every few days when it gets low i just go by some more $2.00 for 50lbs bag it stays cooler. I highly recomend it

I used an rubberized roof coat product I got from Lowes. The floor is over 2yrs old, and under the shavings, it looks like the day I finished the coop. The roof coat becomes part of the floor. It doesn't become brittle like linoleum when it gets old. Nothing can get between it and the wooden floor like it can with linoleum or vinyl. Caulk can come loose as it ages, and the chickens WILL eat it.
Jack
This will be perfect! Thank you!

what kind of sand?
i am a newbie... my ladies are almost ready to move into their coop in my barn..
(currently hanging in my basement. i kind of like hearing them talking at night, but there are 30 of them, and its getting kinda crazy!)
i heard river sand/gravel - but i don't really know what that is.
my gravel place didn't know what i was speaking about, then i couldn't find that thread any more.
what kind of sand are you using?
where did you order/get it from?
how deep are you layering it?
did you coat your floor with anything first so it wouldn't get gross??
sorry i am so annoying, but i want everything super perfect for them..
i know i am bound to screw up a bunch of things a bunch of times, so i was hoping for some advice...
thanks!
stephanie

Back
Top Bottom