Coop Flooring Question! Help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dunnsgirl7, Jun 25, 2010.

1. dunnsgirl7

dunnsgirl7 New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    My hubby built the coop with a plywood flooring... (the coop will be elevated somewhat) and I am wondering if I have to have some type of covering over top of the plywood before we lay down our pine shavings. Also, with the DL method, since we don't have a dirt floor to help the composting of the poop, will it start smelling in the coop? Will I need to clean out the flooring more often than once or twice a year this way? I'm a little confused on which direction to go here. We're supposed to be getting our chickens tonight, but have to head to the feed store first to finish the coop! Any thoughts would be much appreciated- thanks! Also, is food grade DE neccessary?

2. rsimpson

rsimpson Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    Colfax, WI
    I've gpt stick on linoleum tile.

3. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    same here, makes it really easy to clean....[​IMG]
    just buy the cheapest stickdown you can...

i did paint the bottom plywood before i put down the tile, to water protect it...

4. ChickenFan451

ChickenFan451 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    Bailey, Colorado
    I posted on a local community website looking for leftover linolium and got a huge piece for free. Another option is to check Craigslist. Good luck.

5. Gallina Vecchia

Gallina Vecchia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    Man-ought-to-walk
    I used coroplast (corrugated plastic) that people use for duck blinds. Light, flexible and easy to cut. $4.50/sheet at Fleet Farm.

6. hadzimak

hadzimak Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    I covered my plywood floor with concrete backerboard. It comes in 3'x5' sheets and is most often used under tile. I then chalk the seams and painted. It will not rot and protects the plywood. Working good so far.

7. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I have a sheet of linoleum I put down - love it. Easy to clean.

8. montanasandy

montanasandy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Potomac, Montana
    I covered mine with left over vinyl flooring from our house. Makes cleaning so easy. You would hate to do all that work only to have to replace the floor. [​IMG]

9. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    We converted 3 building's We have into coop's.Minus the original big chicken coop which has concerete floors.One of the one's has half wood half concrete.We put WAYYYYYY too many nest boxes in there then but were newbie's 5 year's ago.And we Put 6 seperate pens in a 2 story all wood floor on top.I basicly bought one of those scraper tool's from TSC a few years ago and scrape them down a couple time's a year minus the basic fresh up's with shaving's etc.The original coop is a Big 3 room pen concrete block and bottom with 3 seperate room's it still has the old timer for light's which actualy work's!We added a run on the one side but Gaaaaaaa Coon's and the old one got them in there too a couple year s ago.Working it and It's a one of a kind old farm set up but $$$$>.I Love my coop's and stuff.

10. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from MN!

I simply painted the plywood floor with the same paint that I used for the walls. It cleans up slick as a whistle and was FREE since I already had the paint. And since I do deep litter, it doesn't show anyways. Primed first with Kilz oil based primer (I prefer it when working with bare wood) and painted with exterior latex semi-gloss. Makes clean up extremely simple and seals the floor against spills and mites.

I haven't had any smell problems with the floor/deep litter. I really think that the smell problems come from poor ventilation. I toss the shavings once a month or so and the poo just dries out. I do a total clean out twice a year -- once in the late spring and again in the late fall.

DE has many benefits, and I use it in my coop as a preventative. But sparingly because it's pretty expensive. And dusty.

Have fun with the little babies. They are so cute and fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by