coop flooring question

sawfish99

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 23, 2010
North Stonington
I am starting construction on my coop and run. The coop is going to be about 5 1/2 ft by 12 ft and the run is being debated, but likely in the 4-500 sqft range. The run will have 2x4 wire fencing in the 4-6' height with hardware cloth around the bottom. Eventually I want to let the chickens free range during the day, but it will depend on how the dogs do with the hens and I want somewhere to keep them when we are not around.

The coop is an existing shed that already has a 2x6 floor. I plan to use DLM. So here is the question, should I just use the existing 2x6 flooring in the coop or put down sheets of plywood over the 2x6s? I think the 2x6s with slight gaps will allow the fluids to drain better, and shouldn't create any problems, but wanted to get some backup.

Hmmm..."fluids to drain better"? Fluids should not be of such volume that you need the cracks to let them drain...if it's that wet you're probably going to have problems.

I wouldn't worry about putting down more wood but you might want to cover the 2x6s with some type of linoleum/vinyl floor covering. This will protect the wood floor from moisture and make it easier to clean (when clean-up day rolls around).

Sounds like a nice run that you're planning.

Best wishes,
Ed

Just make sure any gaps are too small to allow pests in. If you use the existing floor and the gaps are too big, I would cover it with plywood on top or hardware cloth on bottom. Chickens don't pee so the only liquid would be spills and/or precipitation. Good bedding management should prevent those from being an issue though. I painted my floor. It makes cleanup really easy.

Chickens don't make a huge mess with water / feed... You want a challenge??? Try Ducks! A solid floor with some hay, pine shavings or similar will be fine for weeks (or months) on end. Any large gap in the floor is a welcome mat to predators..

Just saw that RIBill is a faster typer than I... I will work on that! So I ditto his/her response!

Last edited:
I would put down 3/8" OSB with ring-shank nails and glue too. Then install linoleum, and be sure to caulk it well around the walls to prevent creepy-crawlies and such from living there. Also better when you hose it out for annual cleaning and litter replacement. I would caulk with Sonneborne NP1 sonolastic caulk. Best thing ever to repel water. Best ever for any type of roof use too. Can only get it at roofing supply houses tho. Go with deep litter and keep adding all year long until time to remove, wash down coop, and replace litter. I do that in springtime after a couple times mowing so that I can get lots of grass clippings ready to dump in. (Free and smell good, and easy to get while doing my mowing chore.) Supplement during winter time with hay if possible. If not, then straw may be ok. Other stuff costs more. I do add some hay during winter because the grass litter will eventuall begin to smell a bit in late winter. Just top dress it with hay and you will be fine until springtime.

Important tho to use proper sized poop boards and clean daily.
sickbyc.gif
Otherwise you will have to clean coop much more often.

Gerry

cool.png

It seems like a waste of money to put more on the floor (unless it gets colder than the dickens there). What might be handy is to have some type of drop floor so you can just rake out from underneath.

The gaps between the boards are less that 1/8". I will be using sawdust for the flooring cover (we have horses so we already buy it in bulk), so I think I am going to go without putting any plywood on the floor. If after the first few months I am having problems, I will modify the design. I do plan to build poop boards for under the roosts.

Back
Top Bottom