Coop for My Babies?

SilkieMomPoof

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2013
So, I am ready for my 1 week old bobwhites to go outside. I don't really know what I should use though! I don't know what any of the requirements are, so if any of you could help me out, that'd be great! I can't put my brooder outside, because it is not rain or predator proof. So I just need to know how to get them out in the grass! or is it too early for that? I'm such an amateur! Advise would be greatly appreciated! thank you!

You can not put 1 week old quail outside without a brooder, heat lamp and sufficient quarters. You will kill them for sure. You can not free range quail. You will never see them again.

We just determined that your quail were dying from drafts and now you want to take them outside into a HUGE draft? You need to leave them put inside for another 5 weeks. :)

Oh, I know, I just meant if there was a brooder I could put outside that would be weather and predator proof! And I certainly didn't mean free range! Sorry for the miscommunication there! I certainly don't want to freeze them or anything. I was also wondering if there was one where they would be able to come out and have a tiny yard where they could walk on the grass a little. But do those things exist I guess is what I'm asking, and if a little grass would be alright at so young an age. From what I gathered from you is that no, a little grass is not okay, but still, just any outdoor brooder is all I'm asking about there. Thanks so much!

PS I was thinking that maybe they weren't dying from drafts after all, since I actually had the temperature too high, and didn't take them out often at all. My guess is that they weren't eating, or maybe they were too hot even! I now have the temperature in check, and watching the smaller ones eat. Thanks for the advise on that also, it was very helpful!!!
smile.png
I'm very thankful for every one here on backyard chickens!

I wouldn't recommend letting them have access to grass/dirt. First you are opening up the possibility of all kinds of parasites from the ground. Second, predators can get in very easily by burrowing under. Trust me, it only takes one time of waking up and finding pieces of your bird strewn around before you realize how unnecessary that was.

Mine do love the dust bath I give them. It is a plastic box with sand in it. I also add in oyster shell, grit, and some poultry dust (DE).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom