Coop for Silkies

Their own room...wow! :) Would love to see pics of your girls.

She is a beauty for sure! When she was a young chick, at the breeders house, a coyote got into the brooder and toppled it over and she has a crushed foot and the cross beak. The breeder didn't notice her issues as she had about 70 chicks. I think her "jaw" probably snapped out of place and fused this way. One of her toes is bent under the foot. Kinda of like when you move your thumb under your fingers. A friend of mine got her and the partridge (and many more) and never noticed anything until she got home. I trimmed her beak with dog clippers just a little. She gets around fine and has not trouble eating or drinking.

This is my white non bearded Silkie hen, Snowball.
The black one was my hen, Ms B. (RIP my pretty girl)

This is my Buff Silkie rooster, Sunny.

And my favorite white Silkie, Princess. I paid $20 for this little gal. She was 4 1/2 months old in this picture. She has the full silkie fluff now at 8 1/2 months old.

I did not even see her crooked beak. I still would love her, but I was just kidding. I'll find a Buff girl for Sunny around here.

Thank you everyone for the great advice and pictures!!! Such beautiful silkies!! DH is going to build me a new more functional coop for my 30th birthday! Can't wait to get my silkies!!!

Thank you!!

I have to silkies and I have a prefab coop never owned chickens before so I am wondering what I need to do to the coop for winter it's the coop the back of the picture the redish colored anyway I have a male and female the coop is tiny and has no insulation in the walls at all. What can I do to keep them warm. I bought some insulation and thought of putting it on the out side of the coop sence it is so small in the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_20190915_134537961_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190915_134537961_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86
I have to silkies and I have a prefab coop never owned chickens before so I am wondering what I need to do to the coop for winter it's the coop the back of the picture the redish colored anyway I have a male and female the coop is tiny and has no insulation in the walls at all. What can I do to keep them warm. I bought some insulation and thought of putting it on the out side of the coop sence it is so small in the coop.
Where are you located? How cold is your coldest winter day?

Back
Top Bottom