coop for the meantime

I converted a vinyl shed. Super easy. I bought it new, but you can probably find a used one. Hoop coops are good, too. I built a coop in 5 days out of recycled materials. Pallet coops are easy, too. Lots of options!
I thought of that, I might as well buy a coop, vinyl sheds cheapest are at sam's club and it's $500. Then I'd have to cut holes in it and I don't know how.

I thought of that, I might as well buy a coop, vinyl sheds cheapest are at sam's club and it's $500. Then I'd have to cut holes in it and I don't know how.
I spent 500 on mine. It was 4x7. I cut holes in it. I now use it as a storage building. I just kept the plexiglass and bought pieces to cover the other holes I made. The coop I built was 4x8 and cost about $250. You'll be hard pressed to find a coop big enough for 5 full sized hens that is less.

i'll try to see if I can fix something like it. it has to be water proof though

Mine lived in there all summer with the metal roof scrap on top and the tarp over the windward part of the walls. They were perfectly dry and comfortable. :)

They'd have been happier in a larger structure, but I had an immense run and they had their needs met over the short term.

If you don't have a big dog crate you could cobble a structure out of pallets and cover it with tarps to keep the weather out. The thing with a coop like that is to have it inside a secure run. :)

This is one guy's adaptation of a plastic shed into a coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-scoop-on-a-rubbermaid-big-max-coop.76444/

so help me think? I'm getting 5 full size red sex link chkns. I get a sheet of plywood, 4x8. I put 4 posts under it as legs. I get 2 more sheets and maybe have wherever I buy them to cut them down for the sides. I figure out how to put the sides up. Cut square holes for windows, 2, for cross ventilation. Put heavy wire over them. Face it out of the wind. [hopefully], somehow figure out how to put a door in. put in 1 box of whatever in for now for them to lay in. get some straw at tractor supply, throw it in. get a feeding tray, a water jug at tractor supply, cause I think that's the only place that has this stuff. get some feed, put up a couple of 2x4's for roosts, but how?
oh, I need another sheet of plywood for roof at a slant. God help me, I don't think I can do it.
I'm assuming that the wire pen is something with 4 sides, a gate/door, and a top, all made out of stiff metal, approx 2x4" spacing? Panels holding it together?? If so, then yes, you could use hardware cloth to predator proof it. They either make covers for those pens, or failing that, just get a tarp to cover the top and 1 side, and bungee cords to attach the tarp, at least for now. That provides a wind break and rain protection! Another tarp for 1-2 other sides, no need to go overboard. If you have access to 2 plastic saw horses, you can bungee 1-2, 2x4's to them, to use as roosts. That's as simple as it could get! (at least as far as I can think of).

If you have access to 2 plastic saw horses, you can bungee 1-2, 2x4's to them, to use as roosts.

My mobile roost:

0130220845_hdr-jpg.2977731

2 concrete blocks and a chunk of scrap board.

I spent 500 on mine. It was 4x7. I cut holes in it. I now use it as a storage building. I just kept the plexiglass and bought pieces to cover the other holes I made. The coop I built was 4x8 and cost about $250. You'll be hard pressed to find a coop big enough for 5 full sized hens that is less.
thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom