coop for the meantime

GoinCountry

Chirping
May 11, 2022
What can I use for a coop assuming I don't get one built in the 12 days I have left to move the household AND build a coop? 5 full grown red sex link chickens I gotta pick up on the 28th.
I have no shed, no barn, trying to do it all and I'm overwhelmed.

If you have access to 2 plastic saw horses, you can bungee 1-2, 2x4's to them, to use as roosts.

My mobile roost:

0130220845_hdr-jpg.2977731

2 concrete blocks and a chunk of scrap board.

What can I use for a coop assuming I don't get one built in the 12 days I have left to move the household AND build a coop? 5 full grown red sex link chickens I gotta pick up on the 28th.
I have no shed, no barn, trying to do it all and I'm overwhelmed.
A hoop coop might work. East and fast to build.
Where are you located? Climate will dictate what will work best for you.

I spent 500 on mine. It was 4x7. I cut holes in it. I now use it as a storage building. I just kept the plexiglass and bought pieces to cover the other holes I made. The coop I built was 4x8 and cost about $250. You'll be hard pressed to find a coop big enough for 5 full sized hens that is less.
thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do.

LOVE IT! I can do this. I have a roll of reflextive stuff, back when gas wasn't so $$$ and the RV could use it. I have LOTS of trees to cut down. Do chickens need flat areas to roost or do they curl their feet around? I've seen vids on both and don't know which is right.
Either. Both. I have some who don't even roost. I might he in the minority, but I offer all of the above and let them choose.

And FREE is always good! Chickens don't need fancy.

this is being delivered today. Large Metal Chicken Coop Walk-in Poultry Cage Hen Run House ... Anti-Ultraviolet Cover for Outdoor Backyard Farm Use (9.2' L x 12.5' W x 6.4' ...
So I'll have somewhere for them to be outside, but I need to get hardware cloth I know. But it's raining here in virginia ALL the bloody time it seems. They need somewhere out of the rain. [i thought I would have more help than is forthcoming, so I need to figure out something quickly]
Tarps can be a quick, easy way to keep rain off.

Yes, they do need to be able to get out of the rain.
But adult chickens are also sort-of waterproof. So a few drops here and there will not hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom