coop for the meantime

I used a branch and 2 stumps for a second roost. Gotta get creative!
LOVE IT! I can do this. I have a roll of reflextive stuff, back when gas wasn't so $$$ and the RV could use it. I have LOTS of trees to cut down. Do chickens need flat areas to roost or do they curl their feet around? I've seen vids on both and don't know which is right.

And I totally forgot about my makeshift quarantine coop. It was an old deck box - lol! Big enough for 3 hens.

You have a lot on your plate. Do what's easiest and safe as possible for now. You'll be able to focus on improvements when things have settled down.
I DO have a lot on my plate. I can do the deck box too. I usually can think outside the box, but I haven't been able to on this bc I've been SO stressed about it.

LOVE IT! I can do this. I have a roll of reflextive stuff, back when gas wasn't so $$$ and the RV could use it. I have LOTS of trees to cut down. Do chickens need flat areas to roost or do they curl their feet around? I've seen vids on both and don't know which is right.
Either. Both. I have some who don't even roost. I might he in the minority, but I offer all of the above and let them choose.

And FREE is always good! Chickens don't need fancy.

this is being delivered today. Large Metal Chicken Coop Walk-in Poultry Cage Hen Run House ... Anti-Ultraviolet Cover for Outdoor Backyard Farm Use (9.2' L x 12.5' W x 6.4' ...
So I'll have somewhere for them to be outside, but I need to get hardware cloth I know. But it's raining here in virginia ALL the bloody time it seems. They need somewhere out of the rain. [i thought I would have more help than is forthcoming, so I need to figure out something quickly]
Tarps can be a quick, easy way to keep rain off.

Yes, they do need to be able to get out of the rain.
But adult chickens are also sort-of waterproof. So a few drops here and there will not hurt them.

Yours will never be super cold and wet as well in VA, less to worry about.
They could be, but not in the summer time.

The worst cold/wet situation is usually right around the freezing point, and Virginia does get that cold at some points during the winter.

If the temperatures gets very far below freezing, you get snow and ice rather than "wet," and it's not quite so bad.

Back
Top Bottom