coop for the meantime

Yours will never be super cold and wet as well in VA, less to worry about.
They could be, but not in the summer time.

The worst cold/wet situation is usually right around the freezing point, and Virginia does get that cold at some points during the winter.

If the temperatures gets very far below freezing, you get snow and ice rather than "wet," and it's not quite so bad.

this is being delivered today. Large Metal Chicken Coop Walk-in Poultry Cage Hen Run House ... Anti-Ultraviolet Cover for Outdoor Backyard Farm Use (9.2' L x 12.5' W x 6.4' ...
So I'll have somewhere for them to be outside, but I need to get hardware cloth I know. But it's raining here in virginia ALL the bloody time it seems. They need somewhere out of the rain. [i thought I would have more help than is forthcoming, so I need to figure out something quickly]

I converted a vinyl shed. Super easy. I bought it new, but you can probably find a used one. Hoop coops are good, too. I built a coop in 5 days out of recycled materials. Pallet coops are easy, too. Lots of options!
I thought of that, I might as well buy a coop, vinyl sheds cheapest are at sam's club and it's $500. Then I'd have to cut holes in it and I don't know how.

I thought of that, I might as well buy a coop, vinyl sheds cheapest are at sam's club and it's $500. Then I'd have to cut holes in it and I don't know how.
I spent 500 on mine. It was 4x7. I cut holes in it. I now use it as a storage building. I just kept the plexiglass and bought pieces to cover the other holes I made. The coop I built was 4x8 and cost about $250. You'll be hard pressed to find a coop big enough for 5 full sized hens that is less.

My mobile roost:

0130220845_hdr-jpg.2977731

2 concrete blocks and a chunk of scrap board.
Even better!

They could be, but not in the summer time.

The worst cold/wet situation is usually right around the freezing point, and Virginia does get that cold at some points during the winter.

If the temperatures gets very far below freezing, you get snow and ice rather than "wet," and it's not quite so bad.
oh yes, Va DOES INDEED get below freezing in the winter. Today it's raining and 64, this morning it was sunny and 79. ah. I see about the wet vs the very cold.
What is cold to chickens?

A hoop coop might work. East and fast to build.
Where are you located? Climate will dictate what will work best for you.
virginia, in the country. it rains a LOT. That will work for a home they can roost in? I have a pen coming, but nowhere for them to sleep

Back
Top Bottom