Coop Humidity

Hi talliejo, greetings from sub-tropical Vermont,

Of course, 90% humidity at zero degrees still means a very low moisture content. (The dew point would be a few degrees below zero. At summer temperatures, a dew point below zero would mean "extremely dry". )

I've got a greenhouse too, and in the winter there is *always* condensation on the inside of the plastic. However, the temperature in the middle of the greenhouse is going to be warmer than that, therefore t will have lower relative humidity and no actual condensation. So, maybe there is really no problem as long as it is warmer inside than out. One thing to try -- If you have a way to open a small vent and let a little air circulate, that would make it slightly cooler in the greenhouse but also remove some of the moisture in the air.

One question: I've thought of wintering chickens in a greenhouse, but what about predator-proof housing? The solutions I've thought of are either somehow moving a small coop into the greenhouse, or else making roosts up high where predators would not be able to reach them, and otherwise figuring the greenhouse is shelter enough. What do you do?

Last edited:
One question: I've thought of wintering chickens in a greenhouse, but what about predator-proof housing? The solutions I've thought of are either somehow moving a small coop into the greenhouse, or else making roosts up high where predators would not be able to reach them, and otherwise figuring the greenhouse is shelter enough. What do you do?

IIRC, @Alaskan keeps his chickens in the greenhouse in the winter. I've never looked into it because it would be so inappropriate for my climate. :)

Hi talliejo, greetings from sub-tropical Vermont,

Of course, 90% humidity at zero degrees still means a very low moisture content. (The dew point would be a few degrees below zero. At summer temperatures, a dew point below zero would mean "extremely dry". )

I've got a greenhouse too, and in the winter there is *always* condensation on the inside of the plastic. However, the temperature in the middle of the greenhouse is going to be warmer than that, therefore t will have lower relative humidity and no actual condensation. So, maybe there is really no problem as long as it is warmer inside than out. One thing to try -- If you have a way to open a small vent and let a little air circulate, that would make it slightly cooler in the greenhouse but also remove some of the moisture in the air.

I have been keeping an eye out for condensation and so far am not having any issues. Our humidity here in Alaska is extemely high and I am finding that the greenhouse is often times lower which really surprised me. As far as predators go, our green house closes with a door and our ground is frozen solid all the way around so Im pretty confident nothing will be getting in there. Also, its surrounded by 6 feet of snow at the moment!! I am feeling good about my decision to move them in there. They are getting more daylight, it is warmer and there is more for them to do to keep from getting bored. Pretty sure I'll be moving them back to their coop for summer, but for now, this is working really well.

...I am finding that the greenhouse is often times lower [in humidity] which really surprised me...

This is what is what is probablly happening: the currents in the North Pacific Ocean move in a big clockwise circle, so the sea off the Alaskan coast is relatively warm, and lots of water evaporates into winds blowing from west to east, giving you a damp, foggy climate.
If the ar outside the greenhouse is (as usual) warmer than the outside air, then moisture will condense on the greenhouse walls, removing that water from the air. That, plus the air inside warming up whenever the sun comes out, gives you a lower relative humidity.

As far as predators go, our green house closes with a door and our ground is frozen solid all the way around so Im pretty confident nothing will be getting in there. Also, its surrounded by 6 feet of snow at the moment!!...
I'd still recommend being vigilant and remembering that weasels can burrow under the snow looking for rodents.

I never get condensation in my greenhouse, I too have high humidity since I am on the coast.

However, my greenhouse connects to my chicken shed, and the door between the two means that fresh air from the shed gets into the greenhouse.

I would try to figure out how to get a vent in there some where.

Not sure how, since your eaves look solid.

Also, don't let too much snow build up on the roof, don't want it to collapse.

This is what is what is probablly happening: the currents in the North Pacific Ocean move in a big clockwise circle, so the sea off the Alaskan coast is relatively warm, and lots of water evaporates into winds blowing from west to east, giving you a damp, foggy climate.
If the ar outside the greenhouse is (as usual) warmer than the outside air, then moisture will condense on the greenhouse walls, removing that water from the air. That, plus the air inside warming up whenever the sun comes out, gives you a lower relative humidity.

I'd still recommend being vigilant and remembering that weasels can burrow under the snow looking for rodents.
I think our only real predators around here are foxes and coyotes. Bears are hibernating now and moose are no bother. Summer time brings more danger outdoors with overhead predators. We definitely have eagles that aren't afraid to take what they need! But its always a good idea to be vigilant. Thanks!

Temps hit -18F in Alaska a couple days ago. Coop was at -12. I noticed the greenhouse was at +2 so I decided to move them over there. They seem much happier with warmer temps, more light and dirt to scratch at. But I am concerned about humidity in there. Right now the humidity outside is high. Both greenhouse and outside are at 80%. But this does make me curious as to what humidity levels are too high? Obviously if it’s high outside too, there’s nothing I can do, but I’m just wondering at what point I should be concerned about the greenhouse, if it’s higher than outside. So, my question is, what humidity levels are concerning? Thanks!
Did your birds end up getting frostbite? I live in Michigan, this week we had -5 with over 90% humidity. My rooster and orpington hens suffered low to medium range frostbite, our barreds were fine. We have hemp bedding, dry insulated top ventilated coop. What can I do when the humidity is that high?

Temps hit -18F in Alaska a couple days ago. Coop was at -12. I noticed the greenhouse was at +2 so I decided to move them over there. They seem much happier with warmer temps, more light and dirt to scratch at. But I am concerned about humidity in there. Right now the humidity outside is high. Both greenhouse and outside are at 80%. But this does make me curious as to what humidity levels are too high? Obviously if it’s high outside too, there’s nothing I can do, but I’m just wondering at what point I should be concerned about the greenhouse, if it’s higher than outside. So, my question is, what humidity levels are concerning? Thanks!
Did your birds end up getting frostbite? I live in Michigan, this week we had -5 with over 90% humidity. My rooster and orpington hens suffered low to medium range frostbite, our barreds were fine. We have hemp bedding, dry insulated top ventilated coop. What can I do when the humidity is that high?

Yes, unfortunately my roosters both got frostbite quite badly on both the waddles and combs. One is a Buff Orpington and the other is a cross between Australorp and Rhode Island Red. I do have 13 hens however, and none of them appear to have suffered frostbite. I don't have any suggestions for the humidity. I am new to raising chickens in this extreme climate myself. Although, I will say that even though the humidity is high in my greenhouse, that doesn't appear to be causing any issues because there is no condensation. The temps are so cold that it seems to be freezing any moisture onto the walls, which I think is a good thing. If you learn anything about humidity control, please let me know. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom