High Humidity Low Temps

How much do you use, in how big of a coop, and how much do they reduce the humidity?
This requires a somewhat complex answer. Zeolites will absorb moisture but they cannot break down water molecules, when they reach a saturation point they will release water molecules until they reach equilibrium with the environment and then they will proceed to absorb excess moisture until saturation again. So at first, you may see a significant drop in humidity, depending on quantity and quality of your stones, as well as whether you have an open or closed system. We have an open air coop, 9x13, 30lbs of larger stone, and 80lbs of gravel/sand size. At best, we've seen a 15% decrease in humidity inside the coop, at worst it's equal to ambient air outside. However, we also use them inside our home, we have 20lbs, spread around 1900 square feet and this is a closed system, we get about a 25% reduction in humidity, and it prevents everything from getting damp, i.e. clothes, bedding, furniture, walls, prevents musty smells and mold/mildew from growing. The stones can be recharged, out in the sun (we don't get much sunlight) so we opt for putting them in our wood fired oven where they release water molecules and other gases ect. exhausted outside through the stovepipe/chimney. We recharge them when they seem less efficient, and this depends on what level of humidity we're dealing with, sometimes once a month, some every couple of months...the ones outdoors in the coop - once a month for the larger stones we have in the there, we don't bother with recharging the gravel/sand we have in there as we use that on poop boards. Just FYI, zeolites also remove ammonia. Hope this answers your questions.

Last edited:
Hope this answers your questions.
Yes, excellent answer. Glad you, and now others, understand how it works.
I use granulated zeolite on my poop boards in the coop, they do neutralize ammonia.
Have used zeolite pebbles in bags sold to 'de-must' area of the home in the past, wasn't impressed.

Zeolite is a natural volcanic mineral, I have Zeolite Clinoptilolite stones/rocks that absorb moisture/odor/toxins etc

I think SweetPDZ is made from Zeolite, I'm not 100% certain though that's it's only zeolite?? It's something you can find easily though, I believe they have a sand/gravel and powder.

Zeolite is a natural volcanic mineral, I have Zeolite Clinoptilolite stones/rocks that absorb moisture/odor/toxins etc

I think SweetPDZ is made from Zeolite, I'm not 100% certain though that's it's only zeolite?? It's something you can find easily though, I believe they have a sand/gravel and powder.
Are these non-toxic to the chickens? Will they eat them? Or how do you use them in the coop?

Are these non-toxic to the chickens? Will they eat them? Or how do you use them in the coop?
They are non-toxic in the environment of chickens. Will they eat them? Mine don't have access to eat it. A question I can't really answer, would it harm them if they did? Another question that is difficult to answer. In a powdered form it is sometimes fed to cattle, something to do with digestion for cows, and people do consume it in this form as I've seen it marketed, not sure of the reasons or benefits, maybe to remove toxins? Honestly couldn't tell you if it's harmful to ingest. In my coop I have larger stones in crates, these stones are much too large to ingest, but they are also inaccessible to the chickens. The smaller gravel/sand is on poop boards under my roosts, but again, they cannot access the boards.

Back
Top Bottom