High Humidity Low Temps

talliejo

Chirping
Nov 30, 2022
Hi there! I live in Alaska where humidity is very high even with freezing temperatures. Today the outside humidity is 96% and the coop is at 98 while temperatures are around 25. I anticipate this trend to continue throughout the winter with temperatures being far below zero. I am concerned about the humidity levels with my girls. Any suggestions on how to manage humidity off grid?

Hi there! I live in Alaska where humidity is very high even with freezing temperatures. Today the outside humidity is 96% and the coop is at 98 while temperatures are around 25. I anticipate this trend to continue throughout the winter with temperatures being far below zero. I am concerned about the humidity levels with my girls. Any suggestions on how to manage humidity off grid?
I just do deep litter with a little vent open. I don't have many chickens, so that works well enough.

like these? do they absorb much? I also live with high humidity and would be curious to try if so...
Yes, though sometimes you can get them from building/construction/garden supplies in larger quantities and/or sizes, including sand. They work well, also have some in our house as our dogs bring in a lot of water (on an island here) and it's a lot cheaper than constantly buying damprid.

What are zeolite stones? 🙂
Zeolite is a natural volcanic mineral, I have Zeolite Clinoptilolite stones/rocks that absorb moisture/odor/toxins etc

I think SweetPDZ is made from Zeolite, I'm not 100% certain though that's it's only zeolite?? It's something you can find easily though, I believe they have a sand/gravel and powder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom