Coop Humidity

tsmith1499

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 9, 2011
Mount Airy, MD.
Okay, so I got one of those nifty wireless weather stations and put the sending unit in the coop. This one will show humidity and so far in2 days since putting the 5 Silkies in the coop it is at about 58%. I know there is someone on here that has figured out what the correct humidity should be in winter to help keep from getting frostbite or anything else frozen. Right now I have an old style waterer, but as soon as my nipple waterers get here I will be switching. I know water sitting in a bowl will definately add to the humidity level. I will try and post pics of my ventilation from home tonight.

so far in2 days since putting the 5 Silkies in the coop it is at about 58%. I know there is someone on here that has figured out what the correct humidity should be in winter to help keep from getting frostbite or anything else frozen

Ideally, it won't be any higher inside than outside.

You won't be able to control it other than by ventilation​

Okay, so after a few days and nights watching the temps and humidity I can see somewhat of a pattern. It seems as though the humidity goes up at night and down durimg the day. The only thing I can think is causing this is that the birds are all huddled together right below the transmitter to keep warm. Anyone have any other ideas?? Inside humidiity is 85%, but the birds seem to be okay when we check on them. inside coop temp tonight is 29 degrees. Pics of ventilation at top of wall in rear an in ceiling in the front.

106145_img_20111114_103836.jpg

106145_img_20111114_103825.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, their droppings all being compiled in one spot over night, plus their respiration is going to bump the humidity up over night - more noticeably in a small contained area than in a larger area. Assuming the outside humidity is stable, that does seem to be a fairly large rise...from the 50s to the 80s. Are your pens inside a building?? I'm asking because the cubicles I'm seeing, and then the much wider shot of your ventilation. If so, could you open up some "windows" in the cubicles???

The coop is 8x8 and the first picture is at the top of the back wall at about 6'. The second picture is the vent doors that are actually in the ceiling at the front of the coop at 8'. The rafters are open from front to back and are covered with 1/2" hardware cloth. I did this to hopefully aid with ventilation as well as having the openings that you can see.

Okay...looking at your signature, it appears you have very few chickens for your space (which is wonderful). But it does surprise me that so few chickens in that ample space are creating such high humidity. Stick the sensor outdoors overnight to see if the outside humidity is fluctuating as a test perhaps??? Maybe the overall humidity is varying???
hu.gif

But it does surprise me that so few chickens in that ample space are creating such high humidity.

Without knowing the outdoor temp and humidity changes, you can't say the birds alone are causing the rise.

We just had a 35 degree change in temps over a 24 hour period, with humidity going from near 50, to 100, and back to 60 in the same time period​

We are having the same temp. fluctuations here bear. Right now the humidity in the coop is 45% and the coop temp is 49 degrees. The indoor humidity of my house is only 42%. I guess since this is my first winter with chickens I am like a lot of others and being overly cautious. Thanks for ideas to check on. Tom

In addition to putting the sensor outside, I would also place it in different places in the coop. Not sure but you may have lucked out and put it in a 'dead' space. Try putting it at about the same height on the opposite wall at night and see if the reading changes.

I had to buy another sensor and put it outside the coop. I thought I had a huge humidity problem but it tuns out I've not seen it be more than 10% higher
than it is outside. Typically2-4%

Back
Top Bottom