Coop Idea Needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Spicy, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Spicy

Spicy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Well my nice neighbor gave me permission to build a coop in her woods, they have about 5 acres. My area doesn't allow for backyard chickens, so I'm going under cover. We already have a loose chicken that has wondered into our yard, and lives in the woods. And I bring food to it daily, named it even, Red, lol.

Red, has brought back my want of backyard chickens, so I've started researching again, and wondering what kind of coop I want to make.

So my question is how to build a coop that is easily hidden and easy to clean. I won't be able to do this till next year due to upcoming surgery and weather. So please throw some ideas at me on what type to build, and how to hide it. I plan to get some grape vines to grow on it, and some ivy too. Of course other types of berries too. That way when the leaves fall the grape vines will still there, to hide it.

2. Jetpad

Jetpad Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in a similar situation. Here's what I've been doing to keep my coop hidden. So far there's been no problem but now the leaves are starting to fall off the trees around my coop.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    When you mentioned building a coop in the woods, my first thought was of the Coop of the Week, featured on the Home page. Have you read about it yet? Might be able to come up with something similar and between using logs to build it plus the vines you want, it should be camouflaged well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/romadfoxs-chicken-coop

That is one nice neighbor you have. Will they have chickens in the coop too or are you "paying" them in eggs?

4. Spicy

Spicy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Yes they are very nice. I offered to pay in eggs since they won't be adding chickens to the coop. But she doesn't want eggs either, she said her dad might once in a while, but other than that I'm free to put a coop in her woods. I'm going to start off with 4 or 6 chickens and see how it goes from there. I'm going to try to build it in the woods, behind my sons play house, so its blocked from the dirt road and the main rd. I have to be careful. Red, the abandoned chicken doesn't make much noise, expect for when my little 5lb dog saw her and decided to chase her, which she got a good talking to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by