Coop Ideas NEEDED?????

tristancolli

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Kinmount
I live in northern central Ontario and i need help with finding a coop deisgn that will not weight a ton but it has to be able to keep the chickens warm duing our winters (-25c or colder) i only need it big enough for 3 chickens. anyone with ideas????

Did you check the small coops page? https://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken-coop-small.html

There
are plenty of plans there... For 3 hens a coop 3'x4' would be big enough, if your nests are a couple of feet off the ground; My plan for 3 is to build 3'x5' since that is the little area I have to use for it. Your run should be at least 30sq. ft...so if you have a 4 ft side on your coop and the run is attached to it, it should be 4 'x 8' (or thereabouts). If you attach your run to the 3' side, the run should be at least 3'x 10'.

Last edited:
I have an Amish built coop that has done very well this winter. Very tight, no drafts. Has consistently kept the temp at least 10 degrees warmer that the outside. Very easy to clean and if needed easy enough to supplement heating w heat lamp. My 9 chickens have been very productive this winter and happy. While we do not have the extreme temps of Canada, we have had a very harsh and extremely windy winter. The coop measures 4x6.

Quote:
A converted play house would work. You can add insulation inside, but it will have to be overlaid with a thin layer of plywood or osb to keep them from pecking it to pieces. You will have to add ventilation to it near tops of walls to be healthy. Every Amish-built coop I have seen was lacking in proper ventilation in my opinion. They all would trap heat and humidity at the tops inside. The construction was good other than that.

Quote:
A converted play house would work. You can add insulation inside, but it will have to be overlaid with a thin layer of plywood or osb to keep them from pecking it to pieces. You will have to add ventilation to it near tops of walls to be healthy. Every Amish-built coop I have seen was lacking in proper ventilation in my opinion. They all would trap heat and humidity at the tops inside. The construction was good other than that.

You are right on the ventilation, we insulated inside the metal roof and added a vent on the side near the peak. All is well now that we did that.

Back
Top Bottom