Coop Ideas?

MadisonOde

Songster
Jul 16, 2017
La Crosse, WI
Hey all,
I’m looking into building a coop for someone in town here, and found this one in a book. However I’m worried about the height. It’s nice for town, but as you can see in the photo, it’s only about 2-4 feet high, (I think?). The roosting bars aren’t that far off the ground, but I’m worried about the heat lamps. We use one in our coop bc it can get to -50° with wind chill here on some winter days, although our coop is a lot bigger. There would only be 2 chickens in it though. Would they be fine? Or any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 17
Wind chill factor only counts if there that wind is blowing through the coop. A well made coop should have plenty of ventilation but no drafts and is not subject to wind chill factors. The coop should be tall enough so that when the chickens roost the upper ventilation is well above their heads so that no breeze is blowing on the birds.

I live in northern Montana. Have never had the need to have a heat lamp yet. Birds are very happy when the temperatures are in the -20s F. I worry about the birds more in summer as the summer heat is difficult for them to deal with as they are always wearing that down coat.

Back
Top Bottom