Adding more chickens?

sammi_lynn12

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Grovertown, IN
So my boyfriend made the comment that we need more chickens last night. Believe me, I was shocked too! 😂 We currently have 9 hens and an 8x8 coop. They free range basically all the time plus they have two 14x12 runs so I am not worried about them having enough outside room but I am worried about enough coop room.

My only concern is that the coop is not big enough for hazardous weather. Last winter I had to keep them locked in their coop for three days straight due to 50-60 mph winds and -50 degree wind chill. I just feel like anymore than 10 birds in a coop that size, locked up for a few days would be too many and fighting would begin. I think 10 chickens is an okay amount to fit the coop for a few days if need be but my bf thinks 14-16 chickens would be fine.

Thoughts?

So my boyfriend made the comment that we need more chickens last night. Believe me, I was shocked too! 😂 We currently have 9 hens and an 8x8 coop. They free range basically all the time plus they have two 14x12 runs so I am not worried about them having enough outside room but I am worried about enough coop room.

My only concern is that the coop is not big enough for hazardous weather. Last winter I had to keep them locked in their coop for three days straight due to 50-60 mph winds and -50 degree wind chill. I just feel like anymore than 10 birds in a coop that size, locked up for a few days would be too many and fighting would begin. I think 10 chickens is an okay amount to fit the coop for a few days if need be but my bf thinks 14-16 chickens would be fine.

Thoughts?
16 birds would meet the often quoted 4 Sq feet per bird.

Thoughts?
We made their run predator-proof and sheltered with a roof and greenhouse plastic, so they could be in there in inclement weather, and I think that helps.

I think it may depend on the temperament of your birds, too, but I am leaning towards thinking adding some will be fine. You can also make sure there are places birds can hide and climb on, like extra roosts and platforms. You can also make some plywood tunnels so the lower rung birds can run away from a bully and be somewhere else. Here are some pictures for ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Another article about space.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

We made their run predator-proof and sheltered with a roof and greenhouse plastic, so they could be in there in inclement weather, and I think that helps.

I think it may depend on the temperament of your birds, too, but I am leaning towards thinking adding some will be fine. You can also make sure there are places birds can hide and climb on, like extra roosts and platforms. You can also make some plywood tunnels so the lower rung birds can run away from a bully and be somewhere else. Here are some pictures for ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Another article about space.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/
This is a great idea! I didn't even think of adding hiding spots and things like that. Looking into covering at least one pen in the winter will definitely help as well. I just prefer quality of life over how many I can fit in one space.

I think you're at a good number for your set up but adding a couple more shouldn't be an issue if the flock is fairly agreeable and you don't have roosters or high energy birds. So I guess 12 total as a compromise?

I wouldn't max out, just in case you do need to lock them up again. A single 3 day stint shouldn't cause the flock to turn on each other but if that sort of weather isn't unusual for you, there's no predicting when you'll need the extra space as a buffer.

Personally, I would stay with the amount of birds you have already. Adding new chickens can complicate things. You know that you are in good shape now with severe weather conditions. Adding new birds always is a gamble that you may be getting a sick bird or carrier of a disease that could affect the rest of your birds. No one can guarantee that their birds are totally disease free. Just read a few threads here on the emergency thread about people buying NPIP birds or going to a sale, and then the next week, their birds start getting sick. Mareks, mycoplasma, and infectious bronchitis are some of the possible things that you can bring with healthy-looking birds.

I was guilty of getting too many birds, then hatching more, and the number was out of control. They are easy to care for in summer, but when winter comes, and you get snow for a week, and have temps near zero, you quickly find that keeping water thawed and keeping birds fed entertained, is a lot of work. Then there is the issue of worming occasionally. It is much easier to worm 9 birds twice at 10 day intervals, than doing that for a bunch more. Then heaven forbid, if you get a chronic disease, such as mycoplasma, all of your birds will be carriers for the rest of their lives, until the last one is gone.

Many people think they can get chickens and make money on selling eggs, hatching eggs, or chicks. All it takes is one sick bird and then it is over. So good luck to you for whatever you decide.

Personally, I would stay with the amount of birds you have already. Adding new chickens can complicate things. You know that you are in good shape now with severe weather conditions. Adding new birds always is a gamble that you may be getting a sick bird or carrier of a disease that could affect the rest of your birds. No one can guarantee that their birds are totally disease free. Just read a few threads here on the emergency thread about people buying NPIP birds or going to a sale, and then the next week, their birds start getting sick. Mareks, mycoplasma, and infectious bronchitis are some of the possible things that you can bring with healthy-looking birds.

I was guilty of getting too many birds, then hatching more, and the number was out of control. They are easy to care for in summer, but when winter comes, and you get snow for a week, and have temps near zero, you quickly find that keeping water thawed and keeping birds fed entertained, is a lot of work. Then there is the issue of worming occasionally. It is much easier to worm 9 birds twice at 10 day intervals, than doing that for a bunch more. Then heaven forbid, if you get a chronic disease, such as mycoplasma, all of your birds will be carriers for the rest of their lives, until the last one is gone.

Many people think they can get chickens and make money on selling eggs, hatching eggs, or chicks. All it takes is one sick bird and then it is over. So good luck to you for whatever you decide.
That is a good point. You have to think about how many birds you want to have when everything is going wrong, as well as when everything is all good.

I am capping my winter population at 25-30 because we built a huge winter run/structure, and because I know that I can handle treating that many if need be, but I may regret it if they get multiple problems at once when it is cold out.

Back
Top Bottom