Coop in Sun or Shade?

Snow Rose

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
I live in San Francisco and need to know if I should put my coop in the sun or shade. The weather is very temperate here, but it does get pretty chilly (35 - 50 degrees) when the fog rolls in (usually in the summer) and in the winter. If you live in SF, I would love to hear what you think.

I don't live in SF but I do know how chilly and breezy it can get.
Where we live it goes from -10 to 110 so here's my advice for what it's worth.
Chickens handle cold but not heat.
Sunny locations provide no benefit at night when it's the coldest. On the other hand, a sunny location can be brutal in warm weather. It will only get as cold as the ambient temp at night but during the day it can climb well over ambient temp with the sun shining on it.

That is why I always build and recommend building in the shade.

35F is nothing in a draft free coop. However persistent moisture is also not desirable. Can you situate so you get some sun?

I am lucky that mine is in a deciduous forest, shade in the summer and sun in the winter.

I live in Missouri where it can get hot during the summer and usually there are some cold days each winter. I was thinking about putting the coop in a location where it would get a little sun in the morning. Do you think partial sun would be ok?

Direct sunlight isn't good for any animals. Its gets dangerously uncomfortable fast and the poor little fellers have knowhere to hide. Better to be huddled together with lots of feathers and straw than cooked in your own skin.

For sure... I'm in England, we're just coming into spring/summer.....its freezing My girls love it!

My coops built where there is full sun from dawn to dusk. I told my husband that it was not a good idea but did it anyway. HELP, what can I do to shade the coop immediately without having to plant something to give it shade in the future? Bty, the coops the size of a full shed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom