Coop in Sun or Shade?

Snow Rose

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
I live in San Francisco and need to know if I should put my coop in the sun or shade. The weather is very temperate here, but it does get pretty chilly (35 - 50 degrees) when the fog rolls in (usually in the summer) and in the winter. If you live in SF, I would love to hear what you think.

Yesterday is was hot and humid here in south central Texas. I found this smart hen, the only one in the flock, standing in front of the running fan. She stayed there most of the afternoon. I had to take a picture to share on BYC.
20170603_171732.jpg

My coops built where there is full sun from dawn to dusk. I told my husband that it was not a good idea but did it anyway. HELP, what can I do to shade the coop immediately without having to plant something to give it shade in the future? Bty, the coops the size of a full shed.

Just an idea FOR the future... you could put some trellises with maybe grape vines on one or two sides... shade in the summer, leaves fall off so you get more heat in the winter. I know it doesn't help in the immediate near term, but currently that's what I plan to do when I get mine built.

My coops built where there is full sun from dawn to dusk. I told my husband that it was not a good idea but did it anyway. HELP, what can I do to shade the coop immediately without having to plant something to give it shade in the future? Bty, the coops the size of a full shed.

Last edited:
Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation, it will be ok. Any pics of your coop? I built an 8 x 12 lean to shed, the front and back sofits are open and covered with HW cloth. I also have four 24 x 24 windows, two on the front and one on each side.

Pictures will help here. Shade cloth over the whole thing, insulating the roof, adding a tent-like structure over the top, or at least the run. More ventilation, and maybe a fan inside during the afternoon. And yes, plantings; trees, shrubs, large grasses, whatever will help especially on the south and west sides. Chickens prefer that environment anyway. Mary

We live in Southern Illinois. It can be anywhere from -10 degrees Fahrenheit to 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Our coop was placed under a shade tree. It has an air vent that you can lock up and windows that have screen, so when you pull up the window, air can get in. In the months of March, when our first chicks of the year were old enough to be introduced into the coop, we shut the air vent but left the windows open. We provided extra bedding they could snuggle into and a heat lamp, just in case. :)

Just an idea FOR the future... you could put some trellises with maybe grape vines on one or two sides... shade in the summer, leaves fall off so you get more heat in the winter. I know it doesn't help in the immediate near term, but currently that's what I plan to do when I get mine built.
Fantastic idea. It grows quick too. The only draw back is the bees :hmm!

Back
Top Bottom