Coop in Sun or Shade?

Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation, it will be ok. Any pics of your coop? I built an 8 x 12 lean to shed, the front and back sofits are open and covered with HW cloth. I also have four 24 x 24 windows, two on the front and one on each side.

I sure will post pics as soon as I can. Unfortunately my husband put in 2 small windows ( basement size) and there will be 2 screened doors. Will be putting in 2 vents like an attic would have. He'll be putting in a roof vent (ridge vent?) at the peak. So, on the back side of the coop is 2 small windows with a 3 foot space between the coop and shed. 2 full screens doors 1 on the side and 1 in the front.
Thank you blackdog and mountainbeauty.

Pictures will help here. Shade cloth over the whole thing, insulating the roof, adding a tent-like structure over the top, or at least the run. More ventilation, and maybe a fan inside during the afternoon. And yes, plantings; trees, shrubs, large grasses, whatever will help especially on the south and west sides. Chickens prefer that environment anyway. Mary

Yesterday is was hot and humid here in south central Texas. I found this smart hen, the only one in the flock, standing in front of the running fan. She stayed there most of the afternoon. I had to take a picture to share on BYC.
20170603_171732.jpg

Pictures will help here. Shade cloth over the whole thing, insulating the roof, adding a tent-like structure over the top, or at least the run. More ventilation, and maybe a fan inside during the afternoon. And yes, plantings; trees, shrubs, large grasses, whatever will help especially on the south and west sides. Chickens prefer that environment anyway. Mary
I've read that it's not good to insulate because of moisture possibilities. Is that true?

Thank you :frow

Back
Top Bottom