Coop in the Couve

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by colonel sander, May 29, 2011.

1. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Well started this thing about 4 weeks ago and am finaly in the last stages(well almost) I have pictures of the entire build so far but they are on my camera so took a few shots with the cell as it was easy. So far I think I have at least 50 plus hours and about 700 bucks invested. All this for 4 girls (well maybe 3 I think one might be a roo) I based it on the Witchita desighn in the coop section. Footprint is 5 foot 4 x 12 foot 4 I had to do this as the bricks I used for the base came out to these dimensions as I did not want to cut them. I live on a hill so built a foundation out of a retaining wall and went from there. All wood has 2 to 3 coats of paint and also the interior has 3 coats of Kilz and 3 coats of semi gloss. I still need to finish the siding I got 3 sides finished today but no pics and will finish tom hopefully. I am using cedar board and bat and looking to get a rustic look to it. Also need to finsih the doors and windows and cut in some vents. Other than that I think it is almost there. Going to put in a auto door as I leave at 5 am for work and do not want to let them out then as we are in a urban setting. Well tell me what you think and will post more pics as I have time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. colonel sander

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Ok so how do I get the pics bigger?

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Quote:Are the pictures on photobucket or similar storage site? If so, then click on the pic first to bring it up to "full size" then copy and paste the address.

4. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    I hope you figure out how to make the pictures larger - I want to see!

5. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Congrats on the coop neighbor. I 'm north by a bit in Ridgefield / fairgrounds. Are you west or east side? I would like to see bigger pics too [​IMG] did you resize them when you saved them off?

6. colonel sander

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    The pics were taken with my cell phone so as for resizing them I did not. I have a bunch of pics from day one when I cut the tree down to start the foundation. I actually have not taken a pic from framing to what you see there. I need to take some new ones tom. when I get out to work on it. I actually got all the siding on today and just need to build 2 doors tom and finish the nest box roof and I am good to go. I will get the pics all figured out as I want to make a page from start to finish. I really like the way it is turning out and just need to remind myself it is just achicken coop.

Oh I am on the east side of town towards 162nd just out of the city limits. I think my sons favorite is a roo and I would love to keep him but the neighbors probably would not like me very much. Legaly I am able to but for keeping the peace I think he might need a new home.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  7. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    One thing I have noticed early in the morning... before I had chickens I never noticed but now that I do and I am up when the rooster crows I can hear how many of my close and far (street away) neighbors have roosters and from the sound it, lots of em. If your legal to have a rooster than do so. I may be on 5 acres but the houses are fairly close. All have said how much they like to hear our Jersey Giant crow as its a deep one. I have two other roosters that crow as well as I have more than one group of purebred pens. Nothing sounds more like living in the country than a roosters crow.

8. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    When ever I take a pic on my cell phone, there are 2 in the list. The first is a thumbnail and the second is the full sized one. Hope this helps, I want to see too!

9. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Quote:I don't know, but mine are too big and I wish I could get them smaller. Your coop looks great!

10. colonel sander

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Ok hopefully these pics will turn out better. I am almost done now but here are a few from when I started building. [​IMG] Ok so pic kind of worked am trying to resize them and go from there.[​IMG]Pics are a little blury from resizing them lucky for me I can reun a saw better than the computer. Pics are not really in order either but will explain if any questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok pics still suck but you get the point. Until I get the pics figured out well these will have to do. But as for now am almost done and need to get my 3 girls and one boy outside. They are going stir crazy in the brooder even though it is pretty big.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by