Coop IP Camera Advice?

frjeff

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Northern Michigan
I would like to install an IP camera in my coop. Need wired/wireless, night vision, tilt, pan. Mostly for home network monitoring but may wish remote internet access down the road. I need the wired option as my wireless signal is a bit less than stellar in the coop.

I have read pretty much every thread on the BYC and dozens of on-line reviews. My confusion is that following every rave review on each camera is another review claiming the item is junk. There is little consensus on overall performance excellence.
sad.png

So, might others here who are pleased with their camera in terms of quality, ease of install, etc. please post a brand/model of their unit?

I value the input of members here as you know the exact purpose of the camera and can thus share with my same needs in mind.

I appreciate any and all input.

Jeff+

Hi, (This is Brienna’s b-f) . We have two cameras in the Coop and 1 in the run but none of them are ip cameras. Camera 1 in the coop is a wv-cw964 by Panasonic https://panasonic.cn/support/download/manual/files/WV-CW960、964.pdf This is a high end analog ptz camera. The next 4 shots are from cam 1!

Camera 2 and 3 are analog cameras with infra red leds model NTH-DWMVFIRW by northern video www.tri-ed.com/pdf/NTH-DWMVFIRW.pdf . I bought these for 60$ each at our local tri-ed. The image quality is not as good as the first camera but it's still a very good deal.

Since these are analog cameras we bought a 4 chanel 500gbs digital watchdog dvr for 175$ from tri-ed. http://digital-watchdog.com/products/?route=product/product&path=59_89&product_id=920. We can watch what our hen's are doing from our tv, any iPhones or computers and from anyware as long as we have an internet connection.

I have worked with ip cameras in the past but if you want to record videos, you will need a computer with a good video card and lots of free gbs or a nvr but they can get expencive. If you don't want to record, you can only buy an ip camera but stay with the big brands ( Panasonic, axis, bosch, avigilon...) A good ip cam is expensive and if you want more than 1, good analog cameras with a dvr will do the job for much less...

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch. I had not thought about anything but IP so now I have another option. Great post!!

I am actually not so concerned about recording. I am more interested in real-time monitoring. Was seriously looking at some of the Foscam IP cams as well as others. The models I was considering were in the $100 to $130 range. I have no problem with that price point if they work well.

Guess I will continue the study.

looks like dust and dirt can easily get stuck into the moving part of those cams. I would not use those in an dusty environment like a coop. For that price range you should go for a fixe webcam/camera. If I were you I would buy this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Axis-Communi...ideo_Conferencing_Webcams&hash=item418112e816 it does wired and wireless network, its a trusted brand and because axis is such a big ip security compagnie, you should easily find an app for your phone. but you are not going to get any night vision.

Last edited:
I have several Foscam cameras and I love them. I'm planning on putting an outdoor one by the coop and set motion alerts to see if any predators come around.

Back
Top Bottom