Coop is delayed but chickens keep growing!

How old were your chickens when you moved them to their coop for the first time?

• Less than 6 weeks old

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 6 weeks-9 weeks

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • 9+ weeks - 12 weeks

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Older than 12 weeks

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

KarynVA

Crowing
May 29, 2020
SW Virginia
Our plan was to have the chicken coop ready to move them into last weekend; but other household repairs and diversions have delayed completion of our coop. Meanwhile, the chickens are too big/ mature to not be living in a coop! Am I alone in this? Or have others had to move their chickens into the coop at the advanced age of over 12 weeks old? I decided to start a poll.

I’ve never kept any poultry in the house passed 4wks.
Anyway you can set something up in a garage? Maybe find a cheap used chain link dog kennel for a temp set up?

Mine were right on the border of being 6 weeks because I was working on their run. Had a buddy giving my a large roll of chain link, but I had to wait for him to take it down. My run is 2 10x10 chain link dog kennels bolted together to make a 20x10. The extra chainlink makes was put on the roof to totally enclose everything. I woulda made it 30x10 but 2 panels were damaged by a tree limb, got them free also.

Yep, I've got them situated just fine. It's just hard to establish a routine and get them used to coop life with .... well ... withOUT a coop! We're having some trouble getting the supplies needed for the last stage of coop construction, on top of everything else that has delayed things.

We only kept ours in until 5.5 weeks due to weather; we had below freezing temps so we wanted to ensure they were feathered out before moving them outside for good. I was annoyed with them in the basement after week 4 and they were outgrowing their space we had set up for them. I would make sure to take them out for running around time

I was in a similar situation to you. Don’t be too hard on yourself...you’re doing the best you can.

I ended up creating a outdoor run with 4x4 panels that I hinged together with a top for my girls to be safe outside. I literally carried them into my garage every night...definitely was not an ideal situation, but until I had a secure coop, I created a space for them to be outdoors during the day.

Good luck!

Mine were/are Covid chicks. Although to be fair hatching chicks was kind of on my "bucket" list anyway. When there were no eggs to be had at the store I thought "Now's the time!" Never mind that I didn't have a coop or anywhere to put them at that point. They spent their first 3-4 weeks in a bin brooder set-up in the house, then the next 3 weeks in a cage in my shop. Then I 'bout killed myself building a coop and run because they had to be out of my shop soonest (flies, despite my OCD cleaning.) It happens.

You lived my life!! There are really really good people here to help. I did the same exact thing! I wanted to have chicks for years, but brooding them was impossible until Covid hit. I had a brooder in my dining room and am building a house so my permanent coop will not be ready until fall. I ordered one and got scammed....hence chicks in the garage. I was very popular w the kids in the neighborhood.

I have a temporary prefab coop now for my 5 girls that frankly is a bit snug, but suitable for the time being. The guilt kills me every day!!!

Back
Top Bottom