"Coop" is having serious issues..

jbishop73

Hatching
Dec 4, 2015
Hi all,

So we just moved from our old place into a new one. The old place had a really nice coop built on to the side of the hay shed. It worked excellent for 10 years.

The new place had nothing and I didn't have any time to build a new coop, so I purchased one of those tarp style 10x10 portable garages and am using this as the coop. Last night it was foggy and about 34 degrees. I went out to feed the chickens and it was literally raining inside the coop from all the condensation.

Obviously this is a huge problem because wet birds = dead birds when it gets cold enough. My question is, how can I combat this condensation? Tarp on the ground? Use a razor knife and duct tape to make top vents? Just keep the front side rolled up? (it is out of the wind)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Joe

Hi all,

So we just moved from our old place into a new one. The old place had a really nice coop built on to the side of the hay shed. It worked excellent for 10 years.

The new place had nothing and I didn't have any time to build a new coop, so I purchased one of those tarp style 10x10 portable garages and am using this as the coop. Last night it was foggy and about 34 degrees. I went out to feed the chickens and it was literally raining inside the coop from all the condensation.

Obviously this is a huge problem because wet birds = dead birds when it gets cold enough. My question is, how can I combat this condensation? Tarp on the ground? Use a razor knife and duct tape to make top vents? Just keep the front side rolled up? (it is out of the wind)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Joe
This would be the first(easiest) thing to try. See if it works then think about long term over winter.

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile can really help folks give better answers/suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom