Coop Ladder Issues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdmandave, Apr 1, 2015.

1. birdmandave

birdmandave New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    I have 6 hens, just became mature. At night the 2 ameraucanas and 2 rhode island reds go up the ramp into the coop no problem but the 2 orpingtons stay below and huddle up in a corner of the run. I built their 6 ft tall aframe coop/run. Any idea why the orps won't go up? Thanks!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Mature? How old?
    Are they new to coop and ramp?
    Is there enough roost room for them all?
    They need about 1 foot per bird with plenty of head room and room to get up on roost.
    A-frames can be tight on space up top.

A pic of ramp and coop would help.

3. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida

One of my girls is heavy and does not like to exert herself. I got a cheap little step stool, piled some cement blocks, and used a wire shelf (one end attached to the wall, the rest sitting on the blocks). The ramp goes from the wire shelf to their roost bar, and the ramp comes down each night. All this allows the big girl to take the journey by easy steps up.

Also, they may just be unsure that they need to go to the roost...did they used to go and stop, or is this all new for them? You may just have to pick them up and put them there until they "get it".
    And how much roost area is there? If they feel crowded, they will try to sleep elsewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by