1. billyg2131

billyg2131 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    would it be ok to have my nest boxes under the poop board under my roost just to save space in my coop? the poop board will be wider than the nest boxes so no accidents. i was thinking maybe 3 and half foot for roost then poop board 6 in under roost then nest boxes 1 ft off the groundunder poop board. thanks

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have seen pics of arrangements like this that are working.

3. McGobs

McGobs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    I currently have my nest boxes under the poop board for the same reason. Took some getting used to, but the girls have all grown to like them there. Unfortunatley, I wish I had thought of it sooner. The sudden relocation of the nest boxes caused them ALL to stop laying for almost a month, until they got used to them.

4. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    We have two nest boxes on the side opposite the roosts/poop boards and one under the poop board. All three of them get used almost every day. The only drawback to having the one under the poop board is having to get down under the roosts to get eggs but it does help conserve space.

Just a sidenote,we use the plastic pet carriers(cat sized) for nest boxes,leaving the tops on and the hens seem to like it better than open boxes.

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Mine in all of our coops are set up like that but we collect from outside so, I won't have to kneel under to get eggs. My chickens also like laying in covered kitty litter boxes set on the floor if, you used them - you could pull the box forward to reach eggs. Find them at resale/ reuse stores cheap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by