1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop leaking all over!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CHIC, Nov 12, 2009.

1. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Ok, so we got a few new hens and put them in the coop we built under the existing playhouse. Little did I know, IT LEAKS BAD. Those poor hens are wet and undoubtedly cold. I really don't know what to do at this point. The rain will not stop. There is a lot of flooding nearby, and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Short term or long term will do. I don't know how we would make it water proof. Its the floor of the playhouse, about 6 ft off the ground. I never thought about it leaking through. I guess that means that it is inevitable that the floor of the playhouse is going to rot. I need to get these girls dry and warm but I don't really have anywhere else for them to be. I can't put them in the other coop, it is too small and they are debeaked-don't get me started about that( I hate it)- and the other chickens will be mean to them. I just feel so stupid for not knowing that it leaked. Please any info would be great- please don't criticize, I need advice, not criticism- I already feel bad and dumb for not thinking ahead, Thanks in advance!

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Do you have a dog kennel you can put them in and bring into the house? (one of the plastic dog kennels) Or a large box?

If not - a spare bathroom with an enclosed tub or shower - until they are dry and you have other housing for them. [​IMG]

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:What about large plastic garbage bags on the floor of the playhouse (over the coop roof), or any heavy plastic you have. Make sure you put something heavy on there to hold the stuff down.

4. SilverM0on

SilverM0on Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Oregon
    why dont you put a plastic cover over the coop it cost next to nothing and will stop the rain until you can fix the coop
    at the worse cut open a plastic garbage bag and just hold it in place whit something heavy on the roof

5. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Can you rig up a tarp or some sort of impermeable membrane to shed water? That should be a reasonably easy and quick temporary fix until you can shore up the structure.

Could you post some pics? It might get you more suggestions...

6. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Quote:Duh, why didn't I think of anything like that. I feel so DUH! I am heading out now!

Thank you everyone for the advice!!!!! You are great!! BYC is the best. I will probably bring them into the garage until they are dry at least. Thank you thank you thank you~!

7. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    do you have a garage? until the flooding rain you have stops, what about putting them in a cardboard appliance box for a day or two? When you say a few hens, that's like 3 or 4?

8. CHIC

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    5, but the rain has stopped for now, thank God! I went out and did the plastic thing- easier said than done by the way. My fingers are burning they are so cold, and the wind was unbearable, I couldn't hardly get it done. Thanks again everyone for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by