Coop light for waking up

Sep 27, 2019
Massachusetts
Looking for advice regarding daylight requirements/run access for my new flock of 4 (still in an indoor brooder).

I'm not an early riser, and it's likely that my coop door won't be opened until 8 a.m. many days. Should I add a light on a timer in the coop so the hens can wake up earlier than I do? I'm not prepared to spend money on an automatic door opener at this time. They do have a window in the coop but it is fairly dark inside until the sun has risen above the tree line.

You have a long time to contemplate that. They aren't hens yet. Chicks and growing birds are fine with 8 hours of light a day.
Does your coop have windows?

I do have a window but the coop is still dim in the morning, kind of like a curtain would make a bedroom dark until the sun hits the window?

I had an idea. I have Hue lights in my house (WiFi lights you can set timers on) ... what if I hook one of those up in the coop, I can set it to turn on at sunrise for a couple hours, then on again at dusk, then nightlight mode all night? Hue lights are leds so don't use much electricity and don't get too hot. I am planning on moving the chicks out to the coop next week (with their heat plate) so I want the coop to be prepped this week.

To be effective, the light needs to be bright enough to barely read a newspaper by. With such a small window, is there enough ventilation?
I should add that even though they may not be happy, I often don't get the birds out before 8, 9 or sometimes even later.

I have 2 gable vents (I think that's what they're called) and the window but not a lot of light gets through, they face NW-SE and the tree line and house sort of block the natural light that would brighten up the coop. I think there's enough ventilation but I'm new, so :idunnonot really sure.

The hue lights can be as bright as a 100watt bulb, or as low as a nightlight. However I set it is how much light it emits.

If you really want to put in a light, put in a light. I don't see the need or the benefit but I'm not looking at your coop.

Some people like their coop to be really bright. I prefer mine to be a bit on the darker side. I think they are calmer and more peaceful if it is not too brought. They need enough light to see by so they can lay eggs, go to bed at night, or eat and drink if you keep food and drink in the coop. There is a lot of personal preference in this. I don't really think it matters that much to the chickens as long as basic needs are met.

If you think it is too dark I'd put another window in instead of adding a light. Cut a hole and add a window or just cover it with a piece of Plastiglas. Or cover the hole with hardware cloth to keep out predators for added ventilation in your warmer weather. You can cover that with Plastiglas in winter if you wish. I like passive solutions. A new window always works, even if the electricity fails or a light bulb burns out. And there is no fire risk.

I have 2 gable vents (I think that's what they're called) and the window but not a lot of light gets through, they face NW-SE and the tree line and house sort of block the natural light that would brighten up the coop. I think there's enough ventilation but I'm new, so :idunnonot really sure.

At a minimum you want to aim for 10% of floor space or 1 sq ft per bird, whichever is greater, so get your tape measure and go find out. Much easier to "fix" it ahead of time rather than waiting until after the birds are moved in.

At a minimum you want to aim for 10% of floor space or 1 sq ft per bird, whichever is greater, so get your tape measure and go find out. Much easier to "fix" it ahead of time rather than waiting until after the birds are moved in.

It's a prefab chicken coop. I'd assume the manufacturer took ventilation into account? I specifically bought a prefab kit so I wouldn't have to worry about things like measuring vents and windows.

Back
Top Bottom