Coop lighting, just to check one last time

Firefyter-Emt

Songster
12 Years
Jul 26, 2007
Northeastern Connecticut
Ok, so I decided that I want to light the coop for most of the winter this year. The girls are 17 weeks old and have not started to lay yet and the thought of wintering them without egg production burns me a bit. So I hooked up a timer and a light in the coop today. I have a timer that can come on twice a day so I have it set up to come on now at 6:30p and off at 9:30p (3hrs) and on at 5am and off at 8am (3hrs). There is still some overlaping time so it's not set in stone yet. I remember reading that it might be better to bring the light on in the early am and let the natural dusk to allow them to sleep. I am wondering if I should set the timer to morning only and eariler?

I have a red 25 watt bulb in the coop, but the coop is only 6' x 4' so that should be more than enough. Although, it is kinda creepy looking with the red glow.
hmm.png

So, first off... Should I get all the time in the morning so the chickens wake up to bright light and are thinking, gee... musta slept late! Or a bit on each end and plunge them into sudden darkness? If I go with the morning only, would a normal bulb be better than the red?

They are roosting now, but are wide awake and one is standing inbetween two chickens as if to say "I will stand here until someone moves so I can sit!"
lol.png

PS, they are Buff's and BR's

If you're going to do the extra light I'd only do it in the morning. If it switches off at 9 at night they're all of a sudden going to be left standing in the dark. If you allow them to go to bed with the day's waning light they'll have time to roost naturally.

That is what I was thinking while looking at the light tonight.

Do you think I should swap out the red light for a clear one seeing as how this will be a morning time light, or let them "come on" slowly with the red light into the natural light of the day? I do not have a lot of lighting into the coop so it is on the dark side to start with.

dont they have those "day light" bulbs?...the swirly type ones?..can i use one of those?....when do we need to start the light "therapy" thing?...now?..thanks, Wendy

I have a light that stays on all day. It goes on at 6AM and off at 8PM. I've yet to see them not sitting on their roosts at 8PM when the light shuts off. I have noticed thought that they now spend longer in the run because they can see that security light on in their coop. Before I turned the light on, they were in on their roosts much earlier. I have your regular white light "swirly type" that doesn't produce heat.

Last edited:
redhen, for ideal laying they need about 14 hours a day. Depending on where you are, I do not get that here. Right now, we are getting about 12h a day.

I used this web-site: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/ to plot the rest of this year and into next year to see when I want to bring the lights on in the morning based on sunset and when the timer can go off bassed on sunset. I have noted once or twice a month when I need to change the timer settings to keep in track. Pretty slick website! Right now, I need to bring mine on at 4:30am and off at 7am to keep roughly 14 hours. The top early time seems to hit on Dec. 1st where I need to come on at 2am! Next year, this is where I plan to let them molt until mid Jan.

From what I understand, they should have six weeks off the light in mid winter to let them molt. However, I am sure there are a few views on that. (Please, post your thoughts and opinions on that too!)

hi..firefyter..i live in mass..so i'm on your time schedule..
smile.png
..so..4a.m.-7p.m.?...thanks, Wendy

Well, I have noted these times which best span the daylight hours in NE Connecticut. These are based on 14 hours per day from when sunset is listed and when the sun rise starts. The times are rounded up to the nearest half hour because of the way most timers can be set.
wink.png

Oct 1st => 4:30-7:00
Oct 12th=> 4:00-6:30
Nov 2nd => 2:30-6:30 (DST)
Dec 1st => 2:00-7:00
Jan 1st => 2:30-7:30
Feb 1st => 3:00-7:00
Mar 8th => 4:30-7:00 (DST)
Apr 12th => 5:30-6:30
May 10th => Shut down lights untill Aug 16th

PS, these settings are AM to AM, not AM to PM. I see no reason to light the coop in the day time while the sun is up. If you have no windows in the coop, then you need to go to that site I posted and look at the sunset time for the times I posted (Or just add 14 hours to the "on" time and set the light to go off at that time. Although, if they have no day light you can just turn the dang timer on for 14 hours a day and let it be!
lol.png

Last edited:
thanks!!...lol..yeah..i do have windows in the coop..so..i'll follow your plan...thanks again!...i was just discussing this with my husband tonight..so you have helped us out alot..thanks, Wendy

I had mine on a timer. Now I use a red sign light bulb on 24/7. They each usually lay an egg a day. Right now they've slowed down but they are moulting.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom