Coop location - do I need to have a visual from the house?

Just a few pointers... before you determine window openings/sizes for example, contact the place you'll be getting the windows from and see what the cheapest "standard" size is and plan for that. You can also ask if they have any factory 2nds with blemishes or such (that doesn't ruin the functionality), but they can't sell for full price for cosmetic reasons. There are also re-purpose stores where they take in wood, lumber, windows, doors, hardware, and such from old houses/demolished homes and re-sell it at deep discounts. You could find all sorts of stuff in places like that. You can buy "damaged" lumber at most lumber yards at deep discount. Some folks with lots of time on their hands have collected pallets and stripped the oak boards off them and used that as the wall covering vice spending big bucks on T-111 for example. There are lots of ways to save money and still have a very nice looking, functional coop. You just need to be creative and think outside the BIG box store box. There's the coop thread here on BYC with thousands of coop pictures that you can glean ideas from: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/coops.12/

Well you guys keep saying 'piece o' crap' about that coop. Pretty confident it is as bought, he isn't buying it so the quality would be gravely different. The style isn't all that bad and there is plenty of room for adjustments and customization's. But, I still stand saying it would be a complicated build for a DIY project, not impossible.

Woods coop is neat, basic two Yankee salt boxes attached to each other and bam..you get cited in BYC like nobodies business. From what I've seen so far on here, the thing is ginormous and I'm really not feeling the smaller salt box add on. Honestly think taking out so many angles is the way to go, there is a lot that goes into a 'Woods' coop. Do love me some windows though like it has, be a great natural lighting addition.

Last edited:
The OP is a "he"... where'd all the "shes" come from? The Woods coop has been around for almost a hundred years and is a documented and proven success. It's a design, not a "fixed size" where it needs to be built to house thousands of birds. The fact that it CAN be and still be used as a backyard design is tremendous. It's all basic framing and in reality, quite simple to build. It's what I'll be building here when the time comes... as opposed to what I built in CO when I was there.

The OP is a "he"... where'd all the "shes" come from? The Woods coop has been around for almost a hundred years and is a documented and proven success. It's a design, not a "fixed size" where it needs to be built to house thousands of birds. The fact that it CAN be and still be used as a backyard design is tremendous. It's all basic framing and in reality, quite simple to build. It's what I'll be building here when the time comes... as opposed to what I built in CO when I was there.
Edited my post just for you.

great thanks! I'm going to dig deeper into the woods coop style. btw the main reason i was looking at the palace is he sells full plans and drawings, but upon further review I'm thinking functionality with lots of ventilation is needed.

Back
Top Bottom