Coop location - do I need to have a visual from the house?

Here's a question for you all, is it OK to start the flock with different breeds of chickens, or is it recommended to stick with one breed at first before diving too deep? Tentitively I'm thinking 2 easter eggers and 1 new hampshire red, and 1 brahma.

Noise/smell factor...

I cannot hear my birds (I have 5) from inside the house if the windows are closed. The coop is 30-40 feet from the house. Also close enough that a 50ft extension cord and my garden hose reaches (something else to consider).

Smell has soooo many variables. Soil type, number of birds, weather, cleaning routine, bedding. Personally I can never smell my birds from the house. The only time I ever really smell them is the height of summer if it rains. That being said, I would not set up the grill and picnic table next to the coop either.
Clean your coop once a week use deep litter method. On third day I sprinkle baking soda on hottest summer days. No smell at all.

Rob I've been hearing good things about the deep litter method. When I was reading about it I thought it said you don't clean it very often since you are supposed to keep everything buried in the litter. Is that how you do it, or do you modify? Or am I missing something else on the clean the coop once a week?

I clean out my coop about every 6 weeks or so, and since it's wood chips I simply scoop them out and throw them into the run and replenish with new chips.

I have started poop scooping in the mornings (I don't have a poop board or hammock) but it only takes a minute or two; the poop goes into my compost. Not required but it makes for cleaner boots and slightly cleaner chicken feet.

Welcome! Everyone has already made good points here.
If you can legally have more than four hens, you will (that chicken math thing)! So plan to have a real structure, not a tiny prefab thing.
In view is best, IMO, but maybe with a game cam it would be doable.
Under the bedroom window would be my VERY LAST choice! Then, I have a lot more birds, and just the noise; roosters at 3am, hens squabbling, no way.
Consider your yard layout, where north is, and how the run will work out there. If you have freezing weather then electricity is almost essential, and it's a good thing to have in the coop anyway.
Pictures might help too.
Mary
I know people in Canada who wouldn't dream of heating their coop if that's why you feel electricity is essential in freezing weather. Heated waterers are a whole 'nuther ball game.

You have got some very good advice here. Build your coop.you will most likely change some things to suit you after a while!
Get some good sturdy chickens. You will get attached to the first girls!
Enjoy your experience ! You really can't go wrong .
Chickens don't care!

Back
Top Bottom