Coop location - do I need to have a visual from the house?

Jake H

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2018
Baltimore County, MD
I'm going to be starting a small backyard flock in the spring (4 Rhode Island Reds are the plan and first time ever having chickens) and I'm in the coop planning phase. I'm trying to decide where to place the coop and I have a few options:
A. Next to the house (about 5 feet from the master bedroom windows), very sunny
B. In the middle of the yard (about 30 feet from the house), partly shaded
C. Behind the carport (about 20 feet from the house, but completely visually blocked from the house), partly shaded

Anyone have any suggestions for preferred location? Behind the carport seems to be the best option for reducing noise/smell into the house, however I won't be able to see what's going on out there unless I go outside. So I guess the related questions I have would be:
1. How important/necessary is it to be able to look out the window and visually check on the chickens?
2. Is there a noise/smell factor to consider? (I've read conflicting reports so I'm not sure what to expect).
Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello Jake! I recommend checking in with your town first. Some will have specifications/restrictions for chicken coops/accessory structures. They may outline things like distance from house, distance from road, and/or distance from neighbors. All of this could impact your potential coop locations. Personally I chose a location where I can easily look out a window and check on things. If weather is bad or the coyotes are lurking, I like to be able to glance outside and see that all is well with the chickens. It's a lot easier than bundling up and walking around to the back side of the property every time.

I think you need to be able to HEAR chickens more than see them. Our coop is pretty far from the house but we can at least hear them when they have problems or are laying eggs. Plus it means less noise and smell. However it's harder to get out there in deep snow.

Im not that experienced in chicken keeping. I have had chickens for 2 years now so someone with more experience may have better info but.. I would think you would need a good visual from your house incase there was a sudden problem that you needed to look at them from your house. Also they do need some shade to protect them from the summer sun. If you plan your coop well and have a poop board that has sand on it and it is cleaned everyday you wont have to worry about the smell. I hope this helps

Noise/smell factor...

I cannot hear my birds (I have 5) from inside the house if the windows are closed. The coop is 30-40 feet from the house. Also close enough that a 50ft extension cord and my garden hose reaches (something else to consider).

Smell has soooo many variables. Soil type, number of birds, weather, cleaning routine, bedding. Personally I can never smell my birds from the house. The only time I ever really smell them is the height of summer if it rains. That being said, I would not set up the grill and picnic table next to the coop either.

Congratulations on your upcoming flock. I have 6 Rhode Island Red's and I love them.

Out of the three options, for me I personally would choose:
B. In the middle of the yard (about 30 feet from the house), partly shaded -

I would prefer to have my coup visible so I can check on them, especially if I hear something that isn't quite right coming from that direction. If you choose to have them out of sight though, then I might consider an outdoor chicken cam so you can still be able to check on them whenever its needed without having to go out into the elements.

I would also prefer and area that has both sun and shade. That way they have options depending on the temperature outside to either cool themselves off in the shade during the summer, or warm themselves up in the sun if it's a little cool outside.

I wouldn't want to have the coup extremely close to the house due to the noise; rooster crowing or if you only have hens, there is still that early morning 'egg song', which can be a little loud at times. I have never had a problem with smell, and I have a dirt run. As long as you maintain your coop and run, you shouldn't have a problem with smell.

Over all, it's a personal choice and completely up to you depending on your preference and lifestyle.

Being able to see what's going on will save you a lot of aggravation and footwork. Chickens can be very vocal, and from my experience it's sometimes difficult to determine if it's just business as usual, or due to a threat. Wireless outdoor cameras may obviate that issue.

Welcome! Everyone has already made good points here.
If you can legally have more than four hens, you will (that chicken math thing)! So plan to have a real structure, not a tiny prefab thing.
In view is best, IMO, but maybe with a game cam it would be doable.
Under the bedroom window would be my VERY LAST choice! Then, I have a lot more birds, and just the noise; roosters at 3am, hens squabbling, no way.
Consider your yard layout, where north is, and how the run will work out there. If you have freezing weather then electricity is almost essential, and it's a good thing to have in the coop anyway.
Pictures might help too.
Mary

I would say that the 30 ft. away one is best. Even with a relatively clean coop, there is a "smell" that you wouldn't really appreciate 5 ft. away from your master bedroom. I wouldn't recommend someplace that's fully in the sun.
As for keeping the coop in view, I would recommend having a run attached to the coop that's wrapped in 1/4 in hardware cloth. Nothing can get through that and so, for the exception of free ranging, you wouldn't really always need to keep on eye on them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom