Coop location -- near house, or not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pattycake, May 31, 2007.

1. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I've just ordered my chicks and can't wait for them to get here, so I thought I'd plan out my coop. But I don't know where to put it. We have about three acres and the coop could go more or less anywhere. In the woods next to the house? In the yard? In the field across from the yard, near my garden??

How close to the house is ideal? I know i want to be close enough to keep an eye on them, but how close is too close??

Any thoughts?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Not too close to the woods is my vote---easy access for preditors. Put it out in the open...have any trees set apart from the woods. It might be nice to have a lone tree for shade.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Ours is close to the kitchen end of our mobile home as it is the only flat area in our yard. The coop itself is less than 20 feet from our kitchen window but we keep a fan it that window that blows air out from the trailer.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    My coop is about 15 feet from the house in our fenced in back yard. It started out as a playhouse then into a coop. I like that it was close enough to run electric to. Then its great because I can look out the window and see/hear what is going on.

5. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I second Poison Ivy's idea on keeping it close for electricity. Our hen house has power for heat lamps in the winter and lights to help when checking for eggs. My turkey coop was set back away from everything else and I was unable to run permanent power to it so I have run extension cords all the way accross the lawn.
    We also had a bear in the yard last week and the turkey coop was the first place it stopped to snoop around. could have been because it was up against the tree line away from everything else.

6. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I hadn't thought about electricity -- that's a good point. And I bet I'll want to watch them from the house... hm... and predators will probably be somewhat more reluctant to come into the yard... looks like closer is better. Thanks, all!

7. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    My new coop's right next to the house, too, because like Dawn, it's the only flat area in our yard I could build it! It's actually right next to the front door, with the doghouse beside it. I think it'll be nice to see the chickens every time I go in and out of the house.

[​IMG]

It's (obviously) not finished, but it's coming along nicely! In fact, my son's right here urging me to get OFF the computer already and get back to work, LOL. Guess I better run into town and get the last board we need before he explodes from impatience! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by