Coop next to cedar shed?

detroy

Hatching
11 Years
May 25, 2008
We're planning our first chicken coop for 2-3 hens. I've heard cedar is bad for chickens, but the perfect spot for the coop is next to our cedar shed. If the coop is built out of some other type wood but placed right next to the cedar shed, would that be ok? The run would run along one side of it too, but would have air space between the shed and wire mesh/fencing.

It's the fumes from the oil in the wood that is toxic to them.... as long as it outside like that it's fine. It's when it's fresh and enclosed in an area that it is bad.

Living next to a cedar shed will not harm your chickens.

Cedar is reported to have some toxicity when it is used as a bedding material (cedar shavings). However, there are some members who use it without noticeable effects. A small amount mixed in with the bedding in a very well ventilated coop might actually help deter the spring onslaught of mites and lice! I may have to try that myself, but I live in a climate where is is possible to keep the coop very well aired out at all times.

Chel

The "cedar" that everyone worries about is actually a juniper, Juniperus virginiana. It's marketed as "Eastern Cedar", "Red Cedar", and "Aromatic Cedar". It's used to line cedar chests and closets, and to make shavings for hampster cages and etc. The oils it outgases smell pleasant to us but not insects, and it can cause respiratory problems for birds. I've never seen or heard of it being used for structural members or siding in buildings - it's expensive, brittle and weak.

The kind of cedar your shed is built of is almost certainly "Western Cedar", or "Western Red Cedar", Thuja plicata. It won't be harmful to your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom