Coop on a budget for 5 chickens

If you go to home depot usually by the saws you can find a cull bin where you can get wood dirt cheap. Hope I helped.

Every Home Depot has a cull bin and if you check it frequently you can save a bundle. Typ 4 ft pcs of 2x4 for 50 cents as well as other types of lumber. At the paint counter they usually have both gallon and 5 gallon cans of exterior stain that have been mistinted for great savings. I used to sell plans for a small economical to construct hen house on E-bay. I still have them in my computer and if you pvt me with your email ill send you a copy for free for you to use as a refrence at the very least. Best of Luck

Don't think you can only use cut lumber. I live in a log home in the woods and have lots of trees that I am continually thinning out. I made me coop from these trees so they're not wasted. They're too small to much else with so they are usually burned with brush. I have sturdy coop, made with my own trees, and most all the supplies were left over from our home construction. Good luck!

We are on a budget too. I just picked up a medium sized wooden dog house for free on craigslist. I plan on using it as my starting place and modifying it with leftover materials. Also, depending on where you are check if your area has a Habitat for Humanity Restore. No chickens yet!

My vote is a free dog house, preferably a wood one, use recycled wood for a door. Visit your ReStore if you have one for WAY inexpensive building materials. You can usually find free dog runs on CL too which do work. Or you can join your local Freecycle.org and see if anyone has wood, leftover materials, etc. they would give you.

Quote:
We LOVE this bin, has been really great for us, definitely recommend checking this and any re-uzit or Habitat stores around you. Best of luck, we are still building our coop so I will definitely be keeping an eye open for more ideas and bargains
frow.gif

Absolutely the Home Depot cull bin. It meant some piecing together but we converted our 8x8 shed using mostly cull pieces even finding cull sheet goods to do the ceiling.

The inside of the walls was done with scrap plywood from where I work. I was lucky they had not just tossed the stuff. It was water stained but with DH's skills and my painting ( 4 coats ) it came out nice.

hugs.gif
for my Home Depot.

HMMMMM now I must drive to the next town to find another Home Depot cull bin since this one is shockingly empty...I wonder why.

I also say not to skimp on the fencing. Kinda one of those important things.

I was at Home Depot a couple weeks ago. They had a lot of 2x4, 2x6, plywood, 4x4, landscape timbers. I had a whole flat cart full. I found the lumber mgr. It added up to $25. I asked him if
I could get a better deal on all of it. I got it all for $12!

I also drive slowly on trash nights. I got a large Igloo dog house someone was throwing out. You can find all kinds of good stuff on trash nights. Doors, windows, fence.

Check dumpsters at construction sites and behind shopping centers!

Pallets are a great source of wood. Some people even recycle the nails. Some people drill out the nail heads. I use a saws all to separate mine.

See if there is a recycled building store near you. I get hinges there for 25 cents! I got a 12' 2x8 for a roof beam for $7. 20"x20" vent covers for $1. Doors (without frames) are $10 and windows are as low as $2. Mine is called Construction Junction.

Check Craigslist daily.

You have a couple months. You should be able to find a lot of stuff.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom