Coop on the ground or off the ground?

crous1ca

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Our pullets are supposed to arrive in a week and while I have the brooder set and ready to go...I really need to finalize our plans for the coop and the run. We are going to put the coop and run on a 13.5'x21.5' cement slab that was existing on the property when we bought it. I'm planning on going with a 6'x10' coop and trying to decide to whether to put the coop on the ground or off the ground (maybe 1.5 to 2 feet)? Any input?

Thanks

Depends on your weather, drainage on property, location, etc. I raise the coops. We get a lot of snow and rain.

Noticed you started another thread about whether to cover the coop ... assuming you have any predators at all, yes. Hardware cloth, netting, etc.

I would arrnage for a coop that allow for the birds to go under it. Why waste the space beneath it if they could use it?
It would provide shade in the summer and a place out of the weather to feed and water them.

If it is high enough for them, it will also be easy to clean and discourage pests, like mice and rats.
In essence, you gain 60 sq ft of useful space you would otherwise throw away.

Off the ground! We built ours that way and it gives them a dry place outside in wet weather. It also is a place to run and hide from hawks.

My BIG coop is on the ground complete with a dirt floor, lol. I did how ever make platforms when I made coops out of childrens' plastic playhouses. Was so much easier reaching in, cleaning, seeing around the inside. My big butt doesn't make it through that little door!! Up on a platform I could access the feeder, nests and roosts with no problems.

I have both and I prefer off the ground. The temps in South Louisiana can be very hot, so I have open/air coops as well.

6612_hanging_basket_roost.jpg

6612_061.jpg

6612_062.jpg

6612_063.jpg

6612_chicken_house_new_roosts.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
My current temporary coop is on the ground with a dirt floor. My permanent coop is going to also be on the ground, but with a sand floor. Since I am in Florida, I'm also considering an open-air coop.
If I ever come across another free (which I just missed by seconds) or cheap plastic playhouse, I would also do that off the ground, much for the same reasons CoyoteMagic stated!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom