Coop overrun!

bbgunz88

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 19, 2014
Murfreesboro TN
My coop is over run with weeds (no chickens yet) in my new house. It is literally so overgrown I cannot walk in there. I attempted to go in there with a machete but the mosquitoes chased me out so I sprayed them with a citronella/lemongrass anti-mosquito spray and SOAKED the plants. Used the entire can. What can I do to kill the weeds without killing myself or risking any future (near hopefully) chickens' lives? Short of burning down the coop, I'm out of ideas.And roundup doesn't work for me either.
I'm so ITCHY!!

My hens eat all the weeds that grow in my garden, including all the grass....
Id say just trim them so u can get in and out a little easier then put chickens in and let them enjoy trampling/eating and scratching bugs out of them :)

Do you have a weed whacker/weed eater? Knock them down to a manageable height and then when you *do* get chickens they will clear them out for you in a few days.

I have a certain weed in my coop that is over running it all. The chicks were too small when it started. Next year it will not be an issue, but I am going in there periodically and pulling some. Better than nothing. Yes, I would mow or get rid of it if you can.

My lawn mower is too big (small tractor) to fit in the coop. No weed eater. It's like a forest in there. If I got chicks they would be lost.

Would anyone be willing to let me "babysit" their chickens? We are new to the area and would like to make some friends. You could bring your chickens and let them have at it in the coop as well as stay and talk awhile. I know it's unusual but...

They chicks may look lost to you but they would love the adventure! And even they will flatten and eat the weeds, chicks are very curious! My girls are all out of weeds I have to pick them from the front garden and the grass they just scoff it way too quickly in the back garden. When I just had 3 I used to take them out the front for a change of scene and excitement but with 8 im not sure it's very practical lol

Would anyone be willing to let me "babysit" their chickens? We are new to the area and would like to make some friends. You could bring your chickens and let them have at it in the coop as well as stay and talk awhile. I know it's unusual but...
Not something I'd recommend, from a biosecurity point of view. But visiting someone else's coop is a great idea, as long as you're sure to wash whatever you've worn there to not cross contaminate.

Back
Top Bottom