Coop pics****

Here is what my husband built me this spring. The run is now covered and my ten week old chicks are loving it.

Im almost finished with my new coop. My girls have been in a 4x4ft pallet coop for the last few months, and to prepare for the meat birds we want to start raising along with our 10 laying hens.
I was lucky enough to find a saw mill less than a mile from my house ( Feltz Sawmill in Rochfish NC) Eric gave me an outstanding price on the wood.
The coop is 8ft wide by 6ft deep, facewall is 7.5ft back wall is 6.5ft. The frame is built up from 2x4's on top of 2x8 and 2x6 floor frame. I just got the tin roof on this evening before work, I will probably be finishing up tomorrow and prepping for interior paint and external stain and hanging roosting bars ect. It wont be long and the girls will be in. Ill post a few photos and will post more elsewhere in my own thread showing some of the buildup.

Under the rightside window is a flip cleanout where I can sweep out the coop.
And soon we will be building a 12ft wide by 10ft deep shed onto the front of the coop. then the door opening will have a full screen door instead of the barndoor Im going to be installing.

OK, here's our Duplex. The coop is 12.5' wide by 4.5' deep separated in half for the breeding of Langshans and Cochins. The kids picked the colors: green for Langshans and purple for Cochins. In all, it took about 2 1/2 weeks to complete.

Our 11 year old son helped me frame up and do most of the wood work. He got introduced to all kinds of power tools!

We put vinyl flooring in to aid in cleaning--we did this in our 1st coop and it's GREAT! (All Nerf guns were removed before we gave the coop to the chickens!!)

This is how it ended up! The doors slide open with a pull of the rope from outside the pen. The pens are 16.5' by 6' each half made with treated lumber and 2x4 wire. The top of the pen is also 2x4 wire to protect the flock from coons. The two pen halves are separated by chicken wire. The coop is raised 2 feet with shaded run under them. In this pic, only the Langshans had been moved. We have since added the ramp to the cochin half AND the cochins.

They have a 5 gallon chicken nipple waterer and also a can for those not used to the nipples yet.

They love hanging out under the coop!

I forgot to get pics of the inside. I'll do it this weekend. Inside we have a shared feed system that holds 100 pounds of feed, several roosts, 4 nesting boxes each side, and it is separated by 1" hardware cloth (for ventilation in the summer and shared heat in the winter).

The roof is opaque white rippled roofing--like tin but the plastic stuff. It allows in light but doesn't make it hotter inside in the summer. This is on our other coop. We liked it there, so we're using it again. All windows have hardware cloth on them and hook open and closed. We have 2 huge ones on north and south sides, long windows and the doors on the east side, and ventilation all around the roof line (for in the winter when all the windows are closed). The nesting boxes are on the north and south sides under the windows (they like sitting on the shelf above the boxes). Two large access doors are on the west, so we can easily clean the coops one at a time.

We put pine shavings in the coop and nesting boxes. In the winter, we can move their water in there to keep it from freezing.

Back
Top Bottom