Coop Plans

Cyneswith

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
Camden, SC
19243363_10159045674255160_124550803691129071_o_zpsbsfygjml.jpg

8x12 run containing 8x4 coop (4' in back, 5' in front), intended for a flock of 3 Orpingtons, with potential for roo and chicks. Should technically be able to house 8 chickens.

Hardware cloth on bottom two feet and windows, 2x4 welded wire above that (assuming it is cheaper.), possibly strung fishing wire for run "roof" until a real roof is necessary.

A and B are alternative backs. I have a bifold door in my garage (each panel is 15 inches wide for a total width of 2 1/2', 6'7" long), and am considering using it for the back with hooks and eyes to support the lower panel during clean out. I'm not sure if it'd be too unwieldy, or if it'd be adequate space for clean out. Another problem with that is that it prevents using a 4x4 for rear center of the coop. I'd appreciate comments, criticism and advice.

First, where are you located, it can be, the state or specific? It helps with questions, because of different climates.
Without knowing this, I would suggest trying to vent the roof in front and back or just below the roof, along the front and back, for extra ventilation, besides your 3 windows. Your options for the back, will be a personal preference. If using the bi-fold doors, it might be easier to use, if you didn't let them fold but make it one big door 2 1/2 x 67, hinged at the top and prop it open to do your clean outs. It looks like your on the right track though.

Thank you for the feedback! We're in South Carolina, so I'm guessing the more ventilation, the better.

Yes, the more the better. I built an 8 x 12 shed for my coop, I have four 24 x 24 windows and the roof sofits are all open and covered in hardware cloth.

Just visited my neighbor's farm with her big, healthy flock... And her coop has 3 walls, fencing is 2x4 welded wire. So I may revisit my plans here, since cost is a primary obstacle at the moment.

Just visited my neighbor's farm with her big, healthy flock... And her coop has 3 walls, fencing is 2x4 welded wire. So I may revisit my plans here, since cost is a primary obstacle at the moment.

I was trying to grab a small possum this winter that someone dumped out and he went right through 2x4 fencing around my perimeter poultry yard .. the hoop coop is enclosed in 1/2 hardware cloth to keep the weasels out

Back
Top Bottom