Coop problems when adding to small flock...

GingerAle87

Songster
Sep 13, 2019
SC Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
I have had 4 layers for a little over a year and added 3 pullets 2-ish weeks ago. Pretty minor introductions. The bottom of the original 4 (Mary Todd) has had the hardest time, I think she's determined to not stay the bottom but also stuck between the 2 groups.
They will be out in the run (10x30) with minor chasing. The new girls tend to stick to themselves, though one is braver than the others. I feel like with a little more time they will figure it out, so far no bleeding or injuries... just some loose feathers.
My problem stems from the coop. It's a smaller coop, almost 4x8. We have plans to build a bigger one next spring but this smaller one has worked well with the Alaskan winters, smaller space for them to heat. The new girls will roost on the fence or log in the run and will not go into the coop at night with the older hens. I put them in at night and Mary Todd has to figure out her place on the higher perch and after about 15min everyone settles in. No problems in the morning when I let them out.
How do I get the new girls to go in the coop at night? When I got the older ladies, I closed them in for a day and they took to it immediately. I have the option of closing the new ones in for a few days since I open my greenhouse to everyone through the winter. So the older girls will have shelter if needed for those few days. Would this be the best option or would I run into the same problems when they are added back together? I also plan to add another roost this weekend.
Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the book!

Sorry for the book!
Wasn't a book, all good info and a great first post!

BTW....Welcome to BYC! @GingerAle87
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-13_9-13-45.png

They are about 5mo, I got them from a friend so I can get more details from her next time I see her. Two are Black Star and one is "something else." I'm not sure on any of my breeds really, I work at the animal shelter here so they have kinda come from various places. Lol. Thank you both for the help!

Attachments

• 20190901_174200.jpg
    20190901_174200.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 6
They are about 5mo, I got them from a friend so I can get more details from her next time I see her. Two are Black Star and one is "something else." I'm not sure on any of my breeds really, I work at the animal shelter here so they have kinda come from various places. Lol. Thank you both for the help!
Rescues! My favorite breed! If you post some good side shots - one of the head and one full body - and a good full-on head pic, someone here can probably help figure out your breeds and/or mixes. From this angle and by the shape of the "hood," it looks like your little orangey one may have some Easter Egger, but better pics will help. It's fun to play "What's This Chicken?"

It worked!!!!! After reading some posts here last week, I put in a remote battery light that I could turn on about an hour before it gets dark. It didn't do the trick so yesterday I added another roost. Last night, the 4 older hens were on one roost and I put the new girls in and they all hopped onto the new roost. Then Mary Todd (the middle hen who is having a hard time adjusting) got booted from the old lady roost and went to the new girls and started pecking at them

I stood there for about 10min with my arm resting over the roost to separate them visually. They all eventually settled and went to bed. So tonight I go to close them up and the 3 older hens are on their roost, Mary Todd is on the new roost and the 3 pullets are on the lowest roost. Everyone settled and calm... of course untill I opened the main door to do a head count.
I'm so excited! Thanks for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom