Coop Project: Maken the Plunge & Getting Chickens

I stumbled across this thread - I want to build a third coop
th.gif
and I am always interested in others' designs. I would caution you about overheating your coop - chickens come with their own down coats and don't need heat in the winter. You could save a lot on your electricity bills. If you really felt they needed heat, just set your thermostat at 33 degrees. The need for ventilation is by far more important - without it, condensation will rain down on the chickens and they will develop pneumonia. We humans tend to kill our animals with kindness.

I'm looking forward to the next installment of your tale.

I have really been mulling your words over in my head. I'm building with the dead of winter in mind, but you are so right..there probably needs to be more ventilation in this project. I think I'll take one of the gaps between the roof joists and remove the insulation panels and turn that into a vent duct with exterrior vents on the under side of the eves. The heat from the birds will rise and flow out these vents taking a good %-tage of the moisture with it.

DANG...you have me re-thinking things. Thank you for the comments...very cool.
cool.png

The ducks definately enjoy the Turtle Bath. They have started chasing the Robins away from it...

The nearer duck is "Other Duck" and "Gerty" is the one taking a drink in the background.

Rounding up the chicks was a regular rodeo tonight. I had asked the kids if they would help me and that was a mistake...I had kids running this way and that, I had chicks dashing about the yard and the ducks whistling and waddling as fast as they could. Fricken Fiasco.
hmm.png

I think that in the future, I'll just do this chore by myself. It'll be less stressful on me and the poultry that way.

Last edited:
Well I spent a good part of the day working on the coop. The siding is on it and it looks great. Now I need to finish the roof, the lid of the egg box and the door. After that I can paint it and then finish the electrical.

I see the end.

Got a wounded chick. One of my Buffs is limping real bad. She has a wound on her foot and it looks swollen...she doesn't keep up with the group very well and she spends most of her time laying in one spot. I think she got gurt during all the comotion while the kids were helping me round everyone up for the evening last night. I have her in a tea-towel and I'm holding her...sucks to be injured.

She should be better in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom