Coop Project: Maken the Plunge & Getting Chickens

My wounded chick cannot keep up with the main flock. Her foot is injured & swollen, so she hops along on one foot most of the time. When it comes time for the afternoon nap, she's started squeazing in between the ducks and sleeping with them. On this occassion the group has been heavily feeding in the garden, scratching through the leaf litter and last fall's residues, and this years lawn clippings.

It is amazing how much material they can turnover in an afternoon. That can be hard work.

Last edited:
About 4 feet away the rest of the flock was getting ready to take their afternoon siesta as well.

I need to rototill the garden....this coop project needs to be wrapped up soon or summer's gonna be all over me.

Last edited:
I feel horrible today...I think that I'm coming down with one of those spring flus or a spring cold. Bummer.

I'll see if I can't get out there after work today and get the roof completed and the hinges installed...that would be a great goal for today.

My neighbor's daughter realy likes the chickens. She came over a few nights ago to help me put the chickens away, but I had just finished the chore. I usually have them inside at around 7:15 to 7:30 pm. Last night both her and her little brother showed up and we all rounded the chickens up for the night. They are such sweet kids, I have great neighbors.
cool.png

Tonight my son has a Baseball Game so the girls will have to go in early tonight. They won't be happy abou that...

Your coop is comong along great and I love all the pics your including. The chicks are super cute and the ducks are sooooooooo adorable. I hope your injured chick gets better soon.

Most of the time the chicks will stalk through the grass looking for any bite sized morsels that move. They will go after even the tiniest things. I was watching this chick snapping at invisible nothings, until I got real close and could just barely make out these teeny tiny itty bitty black flies.

Last edited:
This weekend I'll again be working on the coop. My plan is to get the soffet installed in the roof and get the roof attached to the coop. Then I'll look at the lid on the egg box, and finally I'll put together an access door.

The final step is to paint the inside and outside of the coop...probably several coats of paint for the inside. It'll probably need to air out after it has been painted...I don't want to fumagate any of my flock.

I'm still dealing with this dang spring flu, wish me luck for the weekend.
cool.png

Last edited:
I got my soffett wood last night after GEEK. I'll start on it after work today.

I bought a galvanized metal pan that is about 18 inches across and 6 inches deep. I filled it with water and put it out for the ducks to play and splash in...it sat for 2 days with no activity, they would walk by it and act like it wasn't even there. Last night I came home and was moving soffet material for the roofing on the coop and I noticed that the pan had been moved. It had been moved about 2 feet from the fence and was almost completely empty...WHAAAa...did those ducks have a beach party??

Wounded Chick Update:
My wounded chick is doing very well. She is mixing back in with the flock, though she still has problems being able to scratch effectively and dig in the garden. Last night I had to look very close to see which one she is in the flock. To me, she still has a noticable limp, but I see it because I know what I'm looking for...she is definately on the mend.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom