Coop Project

Fantastic and perfect in every way. I trust that you're going to replace that chicken wire with hardware cloth for the window and future run.
Those are some lucky little chicks. Any chance of one's being a rooster?

Quote:
4'x 6'. I wanted it to be bigger but my wife doesn't care for chickens, so I compromised. The run will be a large one, relatively. My old run was 8'x 8', the new one will be nearly twice that size easily.

xtremevermonter, thanks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Why replace the chicken wire for the window? For my old run I used 4"x 2" some kinda wire fencing and was planning on using the same. I'm clueless on this hardware cloth, never had used it. Any information on the hardware cloth benefits would be greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty sure they are sexlinks, if thats the case the chances of a rooster is slim and none. I wouldn't mind having one rooster though...

Quote:
Why replace the chicken wire for the window? For my old run I used 4"x 2" some kinda wire fencing and was planning on using the same. I'm clueless on this hardware cloth, never had used it. Any information on the hardware cloth benefits would be greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty sure they are sexlinks, if thats the case the chances of a rooster is slim and none. I wouldn't mind having one rooster though...

Monk, anything, coons, dogs, possums, etc. can tear its way through chicken wire, but not hardward cloth. Chicken wire is for keeping chickens in, not for keeping anything else out. 2x4 wire is stronger than chicken wire, but some predators are small enough to go through it. It and chicken wire are usually good for daytime, but when it's dark...

BTW, I saw with my own eyes the feathered remains of a grown, live hen that a raccoon had eaten one bite at a time through a one-inch chicken wire. I have 1/4-inch hardware cloth protecting my windows from anything as small as a snake and 100% 1/2-inch hardware cloth on my run to ward off any other kind of predator (see My Page for pictures).

Last edited:
joebryant, never had a real problem with predators before. Only once when I free-ranged my chickens and I did not have Yukon. Yukon is a Siberian Husky, he has benn making short order with many Skunks, Possums, and Woodchucks. We do have a lot of Coyotes and Foxes around but I believe they have been giving Yuke a wide berth. Thanks for the info, I am considering the Hardware cloth and will do a little price comparing.
Your "Coop" is outrageous!
clap.gif
I can't tell where your gorgeous house and coop begins and ends??? Your chickens are obviously royalty.
thumbsup.gif

I love the clean-out door. So pretty! You have some excellent carpentry skills!

I'm with Joe - I'd replace the chickenwire in the window with hardware wire so that the windows can be left open at night. It's expensive, but so is replacing your flock. Maybe I'm just paranoid... I'm sure the dog helps the sitution, but still.... just say'n.

You're going to have a tough time keeping that vent fan from getting caked in chicken dust...

Back
Top Bottom