Coop question *picture idea posted*

McCord6

Away
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Lake Butler (Union County)
Was wondering...
I live in florida so harsh weather is not often unless it's HOT and HUMID. Im thinking about getting 3 laying hens. I have 22 green T posts that been laying around and I have cattle fence. Would it be okay to put up a pen using those T posts and those cattle fence (weave bobwires in between the large gaps) to use for a pen and add a few nest boxes here and there and some branches to use as perches. I have a big piece of plywood to put over the top of the pen for predators. WOuld this work out okay?

Last edited:
Quite honestly, what you're describing sound to me like it would take about 30 seconds for a loose dog or a nighttime raccoon to get into. If you attach everything together *real* securely, it might take them all of two minutes.

Honestly, I would not recommend it.

See what you can scrounge in the way of p/t wooden posts, and/or lumber and plywood, and smaller mesh (either 2x4 welded wire mesh or *sturdy* chainlink plus something small-mesh for around the bottom, or [harder to scrounge] 1x1" or smaller mesh for the whole shebang). A bit of time spent scavenging, and waiting for things to become available, will save you a LOT of trouble and heartache.

Good luck, have fun, don't underestimate predators,

Pat

Yeah What Pat said. Three hens can sleep in a Dog house or some other small structure, and a small run is all they need and can be fairly predator resistant Sounds like the wire is the main issue I woud wait until I got some good safe fencing.

Here's a good rule. If, using your bare hands you can break into your chicken coop, so can a raccoon. It's hard to visualize the structure you describe, but the rule applies and if you can gain access bare handed, it's best to consider another structure for your chickens.

Mr. Peepers :

Here's a good rule. If, using your bare hands you can break into your chicken coop, so can a raccoon. It's hard to visualize the structure you describe, but the rule applies and if you can gain access bare handed, it's best to consider another structure for your chickens.

good rule...smart...that's something to think about **writing that down in my chicken notebook** (yes I have a note book that Im writing all chicken information that I found very useful)​

Check out my chicken tractor for ideas about a dog house chicken coop. I also have a page on there about my open air coop, which would probably be good for Florida
wink.png

I think your main concerns are going to be 1) heat and 2) predators. You have already thought about the heat/humidity, but you need to think about all those mean predators wanting a free dinner!

I would be a little leary of using barbed-wire to make the openings in the panels smaller. If a chook happens to stick his head through the opening then pulls back getting hung on a barb its going to rip the tender skin open or worse.

Marty

This is the rabbit hutch that I already have that Im thinking about transforming into a Hen house. Whatcha think?

40894_rabbit_hutch_turned_hen_house.jpg

The place where Im planning on putting the nest boxes at is already a nesting area for rabbits, Im going to cut the wall down and make a 1 ft height nest box, 2 nest boxes total. Also cutting a small part on the outside for egg gathering. Above it would be a roost. The door to the general area has already have wires on it, cutting a small part from there to add a slot hole for hens to enter and exit but still able to close it at night. Leaving the door the way it is for easy clean up. A ramp added from the small slot hole to the ground to acccess the run.

Just thought of this...Above the nest box, I will put a wall to make a cubby to put feed in that opens up on top (I will have to make a door). Roosts will be installed somewhere else (after alot of thoughts of where to put it).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom