Coop Question

2txmedics

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Manvel Texas
We have this coop we built out of left over hurricane fence that had fallen:
36033_dsc_0422.jpg

as you can see its deep enough, the smaller coop on the side is no longer there, that is where we kept the bantams when babies...

to the back of that which we call our Main coop, we added two seperate smaller runs, with no coops only dog houses as coops attached to the back, so we now have 3 coops, each with its own door way:
36033_minicoop.jpg

36033_dsc_0794.jpg

I say, simple....cut an opening to fit a nice size chicken...and use the side doors where we get our eggs from the main flock to also enter and reach the back side of the coop....

My question is this, do you think I could put an opening in each smaller run so that ALL the flocks can go in from the front and the back? The Main coop is alittle big for just 10 chickens, and the others do NOT have any coops.

I had thought of going into the main coop and making a DIVIDER wall, to seperate the coop from the back coops...
36033_nest_box_with_roosting.jpg

I would start the divider at the middle point which is right at the edge of the nest boxes, that were not finished here, but are now. I had thought of this as this way they all have shelter at night, BUT DH SAYS NO WAY TOO MUCH TROUBLE...
any ideas???

Last edited:
Why not just allow all of them into the one big coop? It looks large enough..

Is there some reason that you want them all seperate? Seems like more work to me.

lol, the runs were built seperate because the new flock were tiny...they were only like 1mo old... They are now 4mos old and still smaller,and I was told they had to be kept seperate, and the 10x10 run on the main flock CAN NOT...keep all 13 more that are behind this main coop....then I have another kennel with a little tykes playhouse that has another 10 chickens!!! those are buffs and one fr. cuckoo maran...they need a bigger place also...Im crammed!!!!

so I was doing this to keep the babies away from the larger flocks....

this is the 10x10 front run of the main coop:
36033_dsc_0752.jpg

and this is the buff coop/run, which they need a bigger one also!!!
36033_dsc_0603.jpg

I did this when they were little, they are now 5mos old and huge!

Last edited:
Looks like your flock population outgrew your planning.
lol.png
Could the bantams just be allowed to live outdoors wherever they like? I have a neighbor that does that and hers roost in the trees. Problem is, they also poop all over the place including her front sidewalk and porches.
lol.png
For every point, a counterpoint?
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom