Coop questions

If you look online for a definition of hardware cloth you can get a variety of definitions. One did say "usually in 1/4" or 1/2" mesh. I did not see any other definitions that mentioned a mesh size even with weasel words. I even saw one definition that said it could be chicken wire. Several said it could be woven or welded.

I never came across any "trade" definition for it where someone in the business would differentiate a specific limitation on what could or could not be called hardware cloth. When I do an online search for hardware cloth I get hits for many different gauges/mesh sizes. The only ones that I see that are actually called hardware cloth are either 1/2" or 1/2" mesh size, others are typically called welded wire, garden fence, something else. But some that are 1/4" or 1/2" mesh are also called welded wire or something else, not always hardware cloth.

I don't now what causes something to be called hardware cloth or something else. Probably the marketing department. I did not check to see if the name "hardware cloth" is copyrighted or trademarked.

As far as I'm concerned common usage on here is a welded wire mesh that can be several different mesh sizes. If you want to try to enforce a different definition on here go for it.

As far as I'm concerned common usage on here is a welded wire mesh that can be several different mesh sizes. If you want to try to enforce a different definition on here go for it.
Nope, was just curious what your definition might be after your declaration.
IMO best to give wire and hole sizes when describing any mesh.

That wire mesh is called hardware cloth. You got the name correct.

My brooder and grow-out coop both have 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth as a floor. Until the chicks get to a certain size, somewhere between 12 weeks and 15 weeks old, the poop falls through. But after the chickens get to a certain size the individual poops get big enough that they stack up instead of fall through. I don't know how that would work with 1/2" x 1" wire. I'd think it would still back up. 1" x 1" might work.

Because of the way it is manufactured wire mesh like hardware cloth can have sharp nibs on it. That's typically from the galvanizing process. Not all wire has that but if it does they should all be on the same side of the wire. If those nibs are facing up they can cut the chicken's feet. But if they are facing down they are not an issue. So you might carefully and with a cloth glove carefully check that out.
I will definitely check out the edging and see if there are any sharp bits. i will make sure there are none. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom