1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by broe, Feb 26, 2009.

1. broe

broe New Egg

Feb 25, 2009
    i have a 7' x 13' pen and im going to put a 4' by 6' coop in it. I was thinking about putting a nest box in one corner and a roost area across the opposite wall. i only have 4 hens. is this a good idea

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Yeah it sounds good, plus you could make the pen a run

3. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    They would love it. You could easily fit two more in there if you wanted to.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is a very good idea. You probably already know this, but make sure the roost is higher than the nest box. Chickens will usually roost on the highest thing they can get to.

There was a thread on here a day or two ago discussing placement of nesting boxes and roosts. One person had his coop set up so the hens had to pass the nest to get to the roost. He had a hen that would stop off and roost in the nest instead of going on up higher to the roost. She would poop in the nest while roosting in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by